13

Callum was laid on the hospital bed, propped up on two pillows, looking half-asleep when Vin entered the room. His left arm was encased in a thick plaster cast; he had a black eye and Vin could see a bruise forming on his neck as well.

"How're you feeling?" He went over to sit beside the bed.

Callum's stormy grey eyes fixed on his face in a glare. "Like I've just fallen down the stairs and broken my arm, surprisingly." He said coldly.

"Okay, fine. Stupid question. You don't look too bad though. I was expecting worse."

"Are you just here to annoy me?" Callum snapped.

"No. I came with my aunt."

"Oh... Is she alright?" Callum asked, modifying his tone.

"Fine. A bit annoyed at you, but..." Vin shrugged.

"Why's she annoyed at me?" Callum asked. "I haven't done anything!"

"You won't tell her the truth. She's the policewoman who came to talk to you."

"Oh... Yes, you did mention she was in the police. Nothing happened." Callum said firmly. "I just fell down the stairs."

"And half-throttled yourself as well, I suppose." Vin said coolly, motioning the ring of bruises on Callum's neck.

Callum scowled at him but didn't answer.

"Why won't you tell them what really happened?" Vin demanded.

"It wouldn't change anything. I'd still be here with a broken arm, and I'd still hurt all over."

"But this could be the last time that it happens. Tell them what happened, and they can arrest your father."

"He left." Said Callum shortly. "After mum called the ambulance, they both left."

"They left you alone with a broken arm?" Vin demanded.

Callum gave a one-armed shrug. "It's not like they exactly care about me." He muttered bitterly.

"My aunt will find them. If you tell her what happened, she can have people looking for your parents. They'll be arrested when they're found."

"And what happens to me? I'm put in foster care for three months until I'm eighteen, then left to look after myself?"

"You could stay with us." Vin suggested.

Callum's head snapped round to face him. The injured boy winced in pain, and rubbed his sore neck angrily. "What?" He demanded, thinking Vinny was mad.

"Well, I... I don't think my aunt would mind. We have a spare room. That way, you could stay at school, and keep working at the library."

"Thanks," said Callum quietly, after a pause, touched by the gesture. "But I couldn't ask her to take me in."

"Then I'll ask her."

Callum shook his head firmly. "I just want to go home." He said firmly.

"To abusive parents, who've left you alone for God knows how long?"

Callum glared angrily at him. "I didn't ask you to come here." He hissed venomously. "Stop prying into my family and leave me alone."

"I'm not prying," said Vin coldly, standing up. "I'm just trying to help. My aunt took me in after my parents died, and I owed it to her to try talking to you. Just like you owe it to yourself to talk to her about what happened. You’re not hurting anyone but yourself by keeping quiet, you know."

Callum stared at Vin for a moment, as though seeing him for the first time, before he nodded wearily, a look of defeat in his storm-grey eyes. "Fine. I'll talk to her. But if she can't find my parent, will you drop it and leave me alone?"

Vin nodded, and went to fetch his aunt.