27

The boy was quickly introduced to several of the younger PC's, who had know Vin since he was small and used to come and follow his aunt round the station.

He and Vin were heading up to the bar to get a drink when Vin was tackled in a flying hug.

"Hi, Vinny!" The enthusiastic girl drew back, beaming. She had friendly green eyes, and a determined mouth. Her long blonde hair was twisted into a neat bun at the base of her skull. "Who's your cute friend?"

"Hi, Beth." Vin grinned at the boy. "This is Callum, my... adopted brother, I suppose."

The boy was swiftly embraced in a bone-crushing hug.

"How come I haven't seen you here before?" Beth asked, linking her arm through the boy's and Vin's and heading to the bar with them.

"I only moved in with Vin a few months ago." Said the boy quietly. "I'm his friend from school."

"Oh, you go to the grammar school? You must be really smart."

"Oh... not really." The boy looked at Vin for help.

Vin, busy ordering drinks, saw the boy's look and smirked at him.

The boy glared.

Beth had barely sipped her drink before she was hauling the boy off to dance, ignoring his faintly desperate protests.

"I honestly can't dance." He said, trying to pull his arm away.

"Well, I'll teach you then." Said Beth chirpily.

The boy found his arms around her waist and hers around his neck before he could register what had happened.