46

"You and Leda moved." Callum said after a few minutes of awkward silence.

Vin looked over at him. "What?"

"After school… When we started losing contact, I went back to the old house one day, but you'd gone."

"Leda got transferred to another station. We lost your number in the move, and when we tried your mobile, it never rang."

"It was stolen when I was on my work placement… So, you never meant to lose contact with me?" Callum asked.

Vin thought his voice sounded hopeful. "No… it was an accident. We left our address with the new owners, in case you went back to the house, but I guess they forgot to give it to you."

Vin pulled up outside Chloe's house and went inside. He came back out with the girl from the photo, who was chattering happily. Vin strapped her in her car seat, and they drove off.

"Who are you?" Sab asked Callum.

"He's my friend, Callum, Sab." Said Vin. "You remember how you say I need friends? Well here's one of them."

Callum smiled at Sabrina.

"I've never seen you before."

"I know. Your dad and I haven't seen each other for a long time." Said Callum. "We just met again today."

"Callum's a doctor." Vin explained. "I saw him today at the surgery."

"Did you fix my daddy?" Sab asked Callum.

He grinned. Already, he loved her. "Your daddy doesn't need fixing. He just needs someone to talk to."

Vin grinned at Callum from the corner of his eyes.

"Is he talking to you now?"

"He can if he likes. But he needs to talk to someone else too."

"Is it because of your work, daddy?" She asked.

Vin nodded, but didn't reply.

"Daddy's work upsets him sometimes. Sometimes when I'm asleep and he comes in late, he wakes me up and hugs me because he's upset."

Callum wasn't sure what to say to that.

Vin pulled into the driveway of a small house and killed the engine. He shot Callum a look. "It's not as large as your place," he said, looking faintly embarrassed.

"I like it." Callum said, following Vin and Sab into the kitchen. "It's homey."