Chase

Do you have fan art? Send it to me through Instagram (Shuckoffgreenie) or Email (Acreativeblur@gmail

Do you have fan art? Send it to me through Instagram (Shuckoffgreenie) or Email (Acreativeblur@gmail.com) ❤️

  A crack of thunder wakes me from my dream. I roll off of Newt and bang my head on the ground, sending a ripple of pain through my skull.

  I see some light stretch through the sky before crashing against the ground from afar. Must be a storm. But then I realize that we are out in the middle of flat land with lightning right over us.

  I turn my head and look for shelter, and see a faint set of lights in the distance.

  I shake Newt awake. "Newt, Newt wake up," He yawns and sits up. "Newt we gotta get out of here. Minho!" I yell. "Everyone wake up!"

  "What's all this about?" Minho grumbles as he rolls over.

  A strike of lightning only fifty to seventy five feet away answers his question and everyone scrambles to their feet.

  "Where do we go?" I hear Alex shout. Another bolt of electricity zaps the ground, closer this time.

  "Over there!" I point to the lights, rubbing my eyes to make sure it wasn't just my imagination. "We gotta get over there!" I scream, picking my bags up. "Everybody run!"

  We sprint towards the lights, muscles burning and chests heaving. I trip over my feet a feet a few times. Newt to my left, Minho to my right.

  I hear a crash from behind me and blood curdling scream. I turn my head and see one of the boys laying on the ground, clothes seared and skin burned. I can't see their face, but someone screams out, "Max!"

  I keep running. We are so close. Twenty more feet. One foot in front of the other. I refuse to look back every time I hear someone get hit by lightning. I can't take it, seeing them killed.

  So I focus my breathing and my eyes on what I see in front of me.

  A crack comes from my right, and I look and see Minho flying to the side, towards me, as a bolt of lightning strikes his foot. He crashes into me and we tumble over and over until we finally stop rolling. I can barely hear anything, grabbing my sore, throbbing ear. I push Minho's hot body off of me and cough, stomach burning.

  Minho isn't getting up.

  I crawl over to him, shaking his body, which is producing smoke. He is struggling to breathe. His eyes are closed. He didn't even scream.

  "Someone help me get him up!" I scream, ripping my throat raw. "Help me!" Newt rushes to my side, along with Aris and Frypan. We lift Minho up and carry him the remaining distance. My arms throb and my chest burns, I grit my teeth against the struggle.

  Someone opens the scrabbly wooden door and holds it for us as we rush in, setting Minho on the ground. I lean over him, feeling for his pulse, which is weakly beating against his skin.

  "Minho!" I yell. "Minho wake up!" I put my mouth on his and give him rescue breathes, followed by CPR. I do it a few more times until his heartbeat becomes for evident. "M-Minho?" I ask, voice trembling.

  He coughs back to life, eyes fluttering open. "Oh my God." I say and give him a hug.

  "Wha-What happened?" He grunts out.

  "You um, you got struck by lightning." I answer, brushing his hair out of his face.

  "Oh. Cool," He smiles and lays his head back down. I can't help but laugh. "Olivia, did you just kiss me? I knew you found me irresistible."

  I chuckle. "I just saved your ass, shuck face." I help him stand up.

  "Where are we?"Minho asks. I take a look around our surroundings. The dim lights barely give any illumination.

  "I don't know. But we should look for food and weapons. Get things that can be preserved." I tell everyone and they disperse.

  We seem to be in a house like the one from earlier that day. I climb stairs to find a bedroom. The door creaks open and the carpet is stained with red. The sheets are vacant from the bed. Curtains are ripped up and broken glass scatters the floor. Someone wrote three words in black ink on the wall, over and over again.

  I am gone. I am gone. I am gone.

  "Where did you go?" I ask myself. I turn to a dresser, which is filled with normal things. Men and woman clothes. This must've been the parent's room.

  I grab a bunch of shirts and shorts for all of us and stuff them into my bag, then change into a fresh t-shirt and shorts to replace my old ones, along with socks. I make sure to grab extra pairs of socks and under garments.

  There's nothing else I can grab, so I open the bathroom door, check the dates on the pain medicines, and take the ones that aren't expired, along with mouthwash. I clean out my mouth and brush through my hair, and wash off my face. Just the simple things make me feel fresh and new, relax me.

  I open the shower curtain to look for soap, when my eyes land on something horrific.

  A human.

  But she doesn't look human.

  Her skin is bruised, purple and blue veins pulsing against her flesh. Blood drips from her mouth which is missing teeth, and weird vine like plants grow across the side of her head. Her head bends in a creepy way and patches of hair are ripped from her skull.

  And her eyes.

  They aren't there, replaced by dark, red, bloody sockets that make me want to vomit. This must be a Crank, one they call Past the Gone.

  I notice all these in a second before her bloody hands reach towards my throat, pushing me backwards and squeezing my neck.

  She opens her mouth to talk, but undecipherable croaks and gurgles are all that come out, the blood pouring onto my face. I finally push her off me and grab my things before running through the door, slamming it in her face before dashing to the bedroom door. I tug on the handle, but it doesn't budge. Shit.

  I look around and grab a lamp off of the nightstand, and then turn my attention back to the door. I pull with all my might on the door, screaming for help, but its jammed.

  A screech erupts from behind me and I jolt around, facing the Crank as it walks towards me. It seems to mock me, taking its time. I use the time to pull one last time on the door, and it flies open just as a hand grabs my side. I look over and slam my lamp into the woman's head and it shatters. I grab my bag and run down the stairs, the unfazed Crank coming after me.

  "Run! Run! Run!" I scream to the others. I see them all gathered in the kitchen, eating chips, but they jump to their feet when they see what's chasing me. "Hurry! Go! Go! Go!" I say, waving my arms around.

  We jog out the back door and into the Scorch, where the storm has stopped, but the Crank follows us.

  "Hurry!" I yell before getting tackled by the Crank. Its knees push into my sides, trapping me below their oozing face. Her nails dig into my neck, scratching my skin and clawing my flesh. I yell out in pain as I try to push the thing off of me. She pulls a dagger out of her pocket and holds it above my chest, giving off a sinister, inhumane laugh, blood squirting all over my clothes.

  The thing screams and topples over to the side, a knife sticking out of its side as it thrashes on the ground before squealing one last time.

  I look up and see Aris hovering over me, staring at the Crank that he just killed. I catch my breath. My neck burns and my arms throb.

I cough, standing up, bones and muscles groaning. "Thank you." I wipe off the blood on my face, rubbing my hands against my clothes. When I finally look up, Aris takes a step towards me.

And before I know it, his lips are on mine.