Truth

Fan art made by me because you gotta be your own biggest fan, right?

"Look." Brenda says, pointing to the end of the tunnel. A shimmer of light lines the far end and hope rises up inside of me as we run towards it, the opening getting visible with every step.

Brenda climbs out, grabbing my hand and pulls me with her. I am temporarily blinded by the sun's white light after being in the dark for so long.

After a moment, I squint my eyes open and take in the surroundings. I see Brenda running off. "Olivia! Follow me! We're closer than I thought!"

I pick my feet up again and take off after her. When I catch up to her, she's talking in the walkie talkie.

"Jorge, we are literally fifty feet away," I look up and see a building not far off. It's one story and stretches for a while. "Get food and water ready. Olivia looks like she's about to collapse."

I want to argue and say I'm doing fine, but she is not lying. I haven't eat in a while and my throat is begging for water. And my nose is throbbing, rattling my skull with each pulse.

We reach two doors that I assume used to be automatic, but are now jammed open, refusing to close. There is no air conditioning but at least the shelter provides a little relief from the harsh sun.

I see figures running towards us and I slowly walk towards them. Nausea fills my stomach and I collapse to the ground.

"Olivia!" I hear Newt's voice echo. I look up and see him. His hair is a matted mess, his skin tanner than normal from the sun. His eyes are filled with relief as he rubs my arm, eyes trailing over my face. "What happened to you?" He asks.

"We ran into a past the gone," Brenda says, sitting down next to me and taking a bite of an apple.

"What?"

"A Crank." She says with a mouthful of food. "Tried to rip her nose off or whatever. Olivia killed the thing." She nudges my shoulder, smiling.

My muscles tighten at the thought. How blood is still covering my face. How it felt twisting that knife around his chest. And how Brenda said it so lightly. Maybe she is used to it, living out here.

"Can I have some food?" I manage to croak out, rubbing he bridge of my nose. It's swollen and bloody, but at least it's in one piece.

"Of course, love." Newt says, mindlessly bringing my old nickname back. But the corners of my mouth curl up as he walks away.

He comes back with a loaf of bread and bottle of water. I scarf down the food and water like an animal. I take a swig of the drink and stare off into space. I feel Newt's thumb gently rubbing my hand, his touch sending tingles up my arms.

"I'm so happy you're okay." He says, giving me the gentle smile I fell in love with in the Glade.

"Newt, you look like you haven't slept in days, you need to sleep." I tell him, resisting the urge to kiss him.

"But I want to stay here–"

"I'm really tired." I whisper. A flash of hurt crosses his eyes as he lets go of my hand which he was holding. But I need time to clear my head.

---------------

I find myself sitting next to Minho later while we eat some more.

"You know, you're literally the most badass girl I know." Minho says and takes a bite of his granola bar.

"What do you mean?"

"Well let's count, sweetie. You fought Gally, you killed a Griever, you survived starvation like ten times and a bullet to the leg, you fought off two Cranks and wow I can't even remember the rest. You've sure been through the ringer." He says, laughing lightly.

"Ha, I guess so." I say and take a sip of water. "What happened when I was gone?"

"Newt was a mess." He replies.

"I wasn't asking about Newt."

"But I know you wanted to." He smirks.

I roll my eyes. But I can't help my curiosity and care for him. "How was he a mess?"

"Wouldn't stop biting his nails. Pacing back and forth, hands shaking. Wouldn't talk to any of us and kept asking where you were, like he forgot you were gone. He would see you weren't there and freak out." Minho says.

My heart is sore. "Oh." Is all I say.

"He really cares for you, ya know?"

"He doesn't–" I argue.

"I've seen the way he looks at you, Olivia. Aris looks at you with lust, but Newt..." He trails off, regains his thoughts. "He hasn't been himself lately."

"Obviously. He slapped me for crying out loud."

"It wasn't meant for you. You were with someone else and he got mad, can't you see it?"

"See what?"

"He's shucking in love with you! And not the kind that everyone says they feel for their partners. He can't function without you, he can't sleep he can't talk he can't eat. He silently cries himself to sleep because he thinks you don't want him anymore! At first I thought it was just stupid teenage hormones, but it's not. He loves you!" He whisper yells so the others don't hear.

"But Aris–"

"Forget Aris. You don't really care about him, he's manipulated you into thinking you like him!"

"You don't know what I feel, Minho." I snap, hands balling into fists.

"Whatever, Olivia. Deny yourself."

"Aren't you supposed to be making me feel better?" I ask.

"I guess I should. But I am not. You needed to hear the truth. Sorry that it hurts."

He is right, but I can't deal with him right now. I stand up and storm off. I head out of the grocery store and kick rocks along the dusty ground when I see someone walking towards me.

As they come closer into view, I see the familiar brown hair.

"Aris?"