Over

"Olivia wait!" Minho calls behind me. "Olivia stop!"

  I quit walking. Turn around, realize no one is following me.

  "We're out of time, Olivia. The two weeks are up. We didn't make it." His voice cracks at the last part, tears rolling down his cheek.

  "No, no we should still have a couple hours!" I say, dropping my belongings.

  "It's over." Minho says, leaning against the wall, crossing his arms and staring into space, his tears hitting the floor.

  An emptiness fills me, and I find myself falling to the ground, heads to my head, a pounding rattling my skull.

  My cheeks suddenly feel wet and I realize I am crying. We went through all of this, all the challenges and variables just to not make it. My entire body trembles and shakes uncontrollably.

  The stress, the pressure, the emotion, it all weighs too much on my shoulders. And I black out.

  "Ms. Coleman,"

  I whip my head around and see Ava standing before me, three guards behind her.

  "What do you want?" I ask, trying to keep my composure.

  "I think you know what I want."

  "Can you please clarify?"

  Instead, the guards come forward, gabbing my arms tightly.

  "Get off me!" I yell.

  One of them presses a gun to my head.

  "If you scream, we shoot."  Ava says.

  "Like you'd actually kill me. You need me." I spit out through clenched teeth.

  "These bullets are infused with elements of the Swipe. Unless you want to lose your memories earlier than planned, I suggest you remain quiet."

  "Earlier than planned?" I ask.

  He presses the gun tighter to my head.

  "I said be quiet." She barks.

  This time, I obey.

  "Bring her in."

  The guards pull me forward, still keeping the tip of the weapon on my head.

  They lead me down the hall to one of the meeting rooms. Ava swipes her I.D. card, granting access. The steel door slides open, and I see a body inside. I bit my lip, nervous to see the other side.

  They bring me in, Ava waiting by the door. She gives me a smile as I walk in, and all I want to do is punch her. The woman who took me in, cared for me, promised things would be okay.

  They lead me around the table, setting me at the other end of the table and putting me in the chair. Whoever sits across from me has their head down, shoulders hunched over.

  "Sit up." Ava snaps. "Sit up!"

  Slowly, he raises his head. Light brown hair, skin drained of any color, sunken eyes.

  Aris.

  Tape covers his mouth. His hands and legs are handcuffed to the chair and he has a black eye, cuts all over his face.

  "What did you do to him?"

  "Aris Jones has committed treason against Wicked," Ava states. "Our coordinates were leaked and he is to blame."

  Aris screams something against the tape, coming out as a quiet muffle. It pains my heart to see him like this. After all, he is one of my friends and I can't bear to see him in pain.

  "How do you know its him?" I ask, keeping my eyes locked on Aris. He stares at me, pleading eyes.

  "We found a contact chip in his room."

  Memories of last night play in my mind. But how did he get the chip...

  "He must be executed." Ava says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

  "What?!" I say, voice rising.

  Aris wiggles in his chair, slamming his body against the back of his seat. His eyes are wild, darting around at the people in the room. He screams against his tape.

  "You can't do that! I won't allow it!" I yell, rising from my chair.

  "Because of him our entire experiment will fall! If the Right Arm finds us we're done for good!" Ava yells back.

  "This is my organization! You answer to me and I refuse this request!" I scream. I am not worried about the Right Arm, more worried about losing Aris.

  "Then what do you suggest we do?!"

  I contemplate this for a moment before coming with my final answer. "Nothing. He is a subject, and he will eventually be in the Maze, so we should not have to worry about him."

  "You're right. Because he most likely will be dead before he gets out." Ava smirks. I have to contain myself from jumping on her and beating her face in.

  "Whaaa?!" Aris sounds from his position. I look at him, horror filling his face. Sorrow fills me inside. I haven't informed him about the dangerous Variables. And I can't guarantee he makes it out safely.

  "I'm sorry." I whisper. His eyes bulge. Tears stream down my face.

  "Take them to their bunkers." Ava orders.

  Two guards grab my arms and pull me away.

  "Let go of me you bitches!" I scream. Their nails dig into my skin in response.

  I eventually stop struggling. How did it come to this? I have totally lost control of my entire organization. My work. My dedication. Gone. Instead I feel like a prisoner in my own building.

  As they drag me out, the last thing I see before the door closes is one of the guards punching Aris across the face. I see the blood spew from his nose as his face slams into the table.

  Ava gives me a slight smile. What a monster.

  There is one thing I am convinced of.

  Wicked is not good.