Chapter 18

I made sure to keep my eyes locked on the back of Ben's head the entire ride. His eyes never looked toward me from the rearview mirror, but I could see that he was uncomfortable. Every now and then, he would shift in his seat. I felt betrayed. How could someone I trusted so much do such a thing? Even worse, Harry had opened his heart to a long lost "friend" he thought he could trust. If he knew what was going he would be absolutely livid.

After another hour of agonizing driving, we stopped at a gas station. I knew this might be my only chance to get a hold of Harry. I had to sneak away before Drake or Ben realized that I had my phone on me. Drake was in the convenience store paying for a gas pump which left only Ben and I in the car. I kicked my legs violently against the back of Ben's seat trying to get his attention. He slowly turned his head towards me and met my gaze; his eyes were angry.

"What?" He hissed. I turned my eyes toward the convenience store hoping he would understand.

"What do you want?!" He hissed once more. I decided it might be better to signal towards my mouth, so I lifted my hands and pointed towards my taped lips. Ben finally got the hint and walked towards me lifting his hands towards my mouth. "This is going to hurt a lot." His face seemed to soften. I watched as his fingers went moved towards the left side of my mouth; he ripped the tape quickly earning a pained yelp from me.

"What is it that you want?" He asked a lot softer than the first time.

"I need to pee." I said with hot cheeks. **

I knew that I didn't have much time in the bathroom and that Drake would be done in less than five minutes. By the time I had made my way into the store, Drake was handing money over to the cashier. I had to get in touch with Harry as fast as I could. Quickly, I pulled my phone out of my pocket as soon as I was safe in a stall. Every ring that passed was excruciating, but I finally got to him.

"Joe?" His voice was strained.

"Harry, I'm-"

"Where are you? My mom is worried sick! Tell Ben to get you back to the hotel immediately."

"Harry, please just listen! Drake found Ben and I... well actually Ben told Drake where we were. Ben is Drake's son and they're working together. They kidnapped me and they're coming back for you."

"...what?" Was all Harry could manage to say.

"They're coming! Look, I don't have much time. I have to be back in the car before they start to get suspicious. I'm surprised they haven't taken my phone already but I doubt I'll have it once I get back in. Just get ready, okay? They're coming for blood."

"I won't let them hurt you. I'll find you." Harry growled.

"You might not have to. I have to get going, I don't want them getting curious." I could feel tears swelling up in my eyes.

"Stay calm, Joe. Everything's going to be okay. We're going to be together again, don't worry."

"Just be careful, I love you."

"I love you." And with that I hung up the phone and placed it back into my pocket. I walked towards the mirror and tried to hide the evidence of my crying.

"Joe? Would you hurry up in there?" Ben banged on the door.

"I'm coming!" I sniffled and splashed water from the sink onto my face. "That's what you get for keeping me in a car for almost 4 hours." I said once I came out.

The rest of the ride I remained completely silent, but I made sure to observe Drake and Ben's every move. They seemed to be discussing a plan between themselves- thinking up strategies that would give them a leg up on Harry and his dad. I sat there trembling with anger; Ben knew all of Harry's weaknesses. He knew every way what would make Harry falter, and here he was handing all of it over to his evil father. He knew I was one of those weaknesses and that was why I was here.