Chapter 19 [End]

Harry was out for almost two weeks, and I could feel everyone around me beginning to lose hope. Only Anne and I remained the most hopeful, but I could see that she still had some doubts. I finally was able to speak to my parents and they were furious with me of course. My mom went on a long rant about how I was a young lady and how I needed to stop getting myself into dangerous situations that could put my chances of going to Stanford in jeopardy.  My dad was also really worried about me, he didn't say much but I could hear it in his voice.

"You have to go back to school," he sighed on one of the late nights that he drove me home from the hospital.

"I can't..." I shrugged.

"Joe-"

"Dad, I can't! Not until Harry gets better."

"Honey, you can't put your life on hold for him. You know this is not what he would have wanted you to be doing right now."

"I can't leave him. What if he wakes up? What if he wakes up and I'm not there? I know if the tables were turned I would want his face to be one of the first I saw." My voice was strained from this constant conversation.

"Joe, I know this seems like the end of the world, but you have to look at the big picture. In a couple of weeks, you're going to be at Stanford. But in order to get to Stanford, you're going to have to graduate. Your grades are already slipping and now between that impromptu trip you just took and Harry's accident I don't know where your academics stand." I could tell my dad was disappointed; his voice was more firm than usually. The last thing I needed was for my parents to become even more disappointed with me so I decided to give in.

"Okay... I'll go back to school. But I'm using my lunches to go back over to the hospital."

"You're using your lunch breaks to catch up on the work you've missed, am I clear?"

"Crystal." I scoffed.

School was empty without Harry in it. Ben hadn't come back to school because he was still waiting for the cops to show up at the hospital. He was also doing his best to keep me in the loop about what was going on with Harry. If he was to wake up, I would be over there to greet him. I could tell that the teachers were getting tired of me asking them if I could make up the work that I had been missing. I knew they thought that I had flaked out on my studies, if only they knew the truth. If only they knew that my senior year had been a never ending rollercoaster of life and death.

I managed to try and get back into my normal routine. I went to school, caught up on homework, and then went home and worked on even more homework. My parents seemed pleased, so I tried my best not to complain around them. Yet, at night, I would let out all of my frustrations and concerns on Ben over the phone. He tried to soothe me by telling me Harry was doing well, and he would wake up soon enough. He also told me that it looked like the cops were on a different agenda because not one of them stopped by to ask any questions. It helped me feel better to know that Ben might get off the hook for what he did; everything he did that night was out of self-defense and he shouldn't have to be punished for it.

Ben met me outside for lunch on the Wednesday of the second week of Harry's coma.

"What is it?" I asked concerned. Ben's face was flustered as if he had been running, and he had a small grin on his face.

"He wants to see you." He smiled wider.

**

Cautiously, I stepped into Harry's room. My worried expression was met by Harry's dimply grin.

"Hi love," He greeted in a soft tone. Tears fell from my eyes as I ran to his bedside, grabbing his hand I place soft kisses along his wrist.

"I knew you'd come back to me." I smiled through my sobs, "how are you feeling?"