Chapter 14

One Month Later **

"I'm home!" I hoped my voice had reached both of my parents. I found them standing in the kitchen, my mom held a letter in her hand, and my dad holding her.

"What's going on?" I asked cautiously. It took a minute, but I realized that my mother's hands were shaking. She handed the envelope over to me. Scanning the top, I read the words "Stanford Enrollment Office".

Oh gosh, it was my acceptance or denied letter. My eyes shot back to my parents who were obviously waiting for me to open the highly anticipated envelope. "Whenever you're ready, Sweetheart." My dad soothed. But I wasn't ready, how could anyone be ready to open something that could make or break their parents happiness?

"Okay..." I huffed, swiping a butter knife from the counter. I slid the blade over the previously sealed flap; the tearing sound made my heart jump. Pulling out the letter I began to read:

"Dear Johanna Maxwell,

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have been officially accepted into Stanford University. Due to high academic achievement, you have also been awarded a four year scholarship of $10,000..."

"I got in." Though the words I had just read confirmed my acceptance, I still had a hard time grasping realization. My parents expression helped of course. First, my mother let out a shrill squeak, tears almost flooding out of her eyes. Next, my father threw a fist into the air yelling, "WE DID IT!" Oh dad... Lastly, came the over emotional hugging that would've went on for hours if I hadn't pulled away.

"Oh I have so much to do!" My mother clasped her hands together for effect. "I have to look for dormitory supplies, and Stanford's official merchandise, oh Joe, we have to work on that wardrobe of yours! There is no way my 'Stanford Accepted' daughter is going to be caught wearing the same dull style-"

"Veronica..." My dad hushed his wife with his eyes.

"What? I was just-" she finally understood her husband and kept quiet.

"We're very happy for you Joe, this is a proud moment for the both of us." Dad spoke for the both of them.

"Thanks guys." I wish my face showed as much excitement as my parents did. **

"Stanford, huh?" Ben smirked. I could tell by his face he was already judging me. He wasn't even the first person I wanted to tell, Harry was. But when I called him, he seemed very distant. I didn't even get the chance to tell him the news before he said he was in the middle of something. I knew that my new found friendship with Ben was taking a toll on him, seeing as someone else had part of my attention.

Flashback:

I pulled my sneakers off of my aching feet, a small groan passing from my lips. I had been in high school for pretty much four years, and still wasn't used to the walking. I quickly threw them in my closet and pulled off my pants. Words couldn't describe the freeing sensation that washed over my thighs. Next I peeled off my shirt, which too was suffocating my torso. Unanticipatedly, I heard someone clear their throat from a corner of my room. I yelped, pulling my shirt of my half naked body. I assumed the worst, I assumed it was Drake. Somehow, he had escaped prison and had come to take his revenge on me.

"Relax baby..." I watched as familiar curls were illuminated from the reflection of the moon. "It's just me."

"Don't do that!" I snapped, gasping for air.

"I was trying to surprise you, you've been coming home so late and I haven't been over in a while." He sounded offended.

"Sorry, Ben and I were just..." I decided to hush before my mouth got me into trouble.