Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"I'm not going." I brushed off my parents request.

"We all have a way of dealing with grief Joe, we just want you to figure out what your way is." My mom rubbed my knee.

"Doctor Markus can-"

"Doctor Markus smells like fish and old bath water. I'm not grieving, I'm fine."

It had been a month since Max had passed away. I showed as little emotion as I could at his funeral. People constantly came up to me apologizing for my lost. I told them that his parents should probably hear that more than me. Harry was also at the funeral, he got a lot of grief because people still saw him as a suspect. He only said one word to me after the viewing, his long fingers reached out and squeezed my hand. A simple "sorry" fell from his lips.

My father's grunt checked me back into reality. "We just want to make sure your okay." My mother's concern was actually real this time.

"I told you a million times that I was fine."

My father took a deep sigh before speaking once more, "when Harry was around, you were better weren't you?"

The name slit me like a knife. His intense eyes resonated into my memory.

"Maybe spending time with him again would help out. You know, make it easier to cope." My hand clenched around my stomach, if only they knew how much only his name hurt me.

"No dad, I don't think that's going to happen."

The cafe seemed like the only place I could be left alone. Most people were absorbed in their own conversations then to come and harass me about my mental stability. It was simple peace and quiet. I decided to get a head start on the English paper that was due in two weeks. I was friendless, so what else was I supposed to do? It finally hit me that Max would never sit in the seat in front of me to study. We would no longer share answers for our next test.

I felt my body sink into my chair. It felt like a brick was chucked onto my head. I had no one. Maybe I should've said yes to the counseling thing. At this point I would try anything to stop feeling this way.

It wasn't guilt, it wasn't the feeling of loss. I just felt empty. I had nothing left to give to anyone. My dad was right when he said that Harry would probably help me with the void. He had a way of making pain seem non-existent. I realized I should probably head back home when the clear wall next to me became black. I shuffled with my stuff before making a hasty exit. Walking was a really stupid idea. Being in the dark wasn't really my thing. Because of my stupid mistake I had to endure it for blocks.

I assumed it was Paranoia when I heard footsteps behind me. But as they got closer, it seemed to be an unexpected reality. My pace quickened when I could hear a deep, almost growl, menacing breath. The footsteps began to lose their threat as they became quieter. But before I could take in a breath of relief, a car sped close to the sidewalk.

A familiar black vehicle slowed as I stopped in shock. When it came to a stop, a hand pulled the handle for the passenger side.

"Get in." The anxious voice ordered.

Before thinking my body clumsily entered the vehicle. The car sped up again- sound of the engine roaring. It was hard to make out the face in the darkness. As we hit a road with street lights I finally saw the messy chocolate curls illuminate. The gasp that I let out after was more girly than I would've liked but it definitely got Harry's attention.

"Why are you walking in the middle of the night?" He growled. His knuckles were white against the wheel.

"I... I"