Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Harry left before I had a chance to say good morning. I sat in bed and contemplated whether to actually go to school. It was hard to have to stay away from Harry for eight hours. Yet, as much as we both wanted, we couldn't be together right at this moment. I saw Max that morning in the hallway before first period. I decided that it was time for me to talk to him about all of this.

"Max?" I held his arm.

"Look what the wind blew in." He glared and pulled his arm away.

"Can we talk about this? It's been months." He was so different now, so cold.

"Who's fault is that? You're the one who dedicated yourself to that Psycho." Max's words were like ice on my skin.

"Please don't call him that."

"Where is he anyway? Out killing again?"

My eyes bulged, "what is with you? He didn't kill anybody!"

"But he tried to kill himself didn't he? What makes you think he didn't try and kill that psychiatrist?"

"Because unlike you, I know him. He wouldn't hurt a fly, Max. You on the other hand." Rolling my eyes I pushed passed him.

The day dragged to a close very slowly. I took my time getting home, after all what was the rush? Harry wasn't going to be there to help me study, so there was no reason to hurry. When I finally did pull into the driveway, my dad's cop car was already parked out front. It wasn't like him to be home so early. I killed the ignition and entered the house.

"Dad?" My voice called.

"In the kitchen Baby."
"Hey, why are you home so early?"

My dad laughed, "it's nice to see you too."

"I'm sorry, it's just you're never  here this early. Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine sweetheart, they just gave me the rest of the day off. You've been so on edge lately. Are YOU alright?" My dad gave me a worried expression.

I stumbled back, "yeah I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You seem uneasy."

"I'm fine." I snapped.

Was my anxiety really showing that bad? Without Harry around, it was harder to relax. I hoped he was safe on his own. I hoped I was more worried about him then he was about me. I finished my homework in record time. I didn't have anyone to distract me from it. My mom knocked on my door right before bed.

"Hey mom." I tried to sound excited.

"Hey Sweetheart, just wanted to say 'goodnight'." She walked in my room in leery strides.

"No; you didn't." I huffed.

"Your guidance counselor called today while you were at school. She said she tried to talk to in her office, but you  stormed out. What bothered you?" My mom was so annoyingly nosy.

"She said that Harry was a suspect of murder, just because he's different. She knows nothing about him- nobody does, yet he's the number one suspect."

"Honey, he has serious... How should I say this? Issues-"

"MOM! No, he doesn't! You're so judgmental! Why do you have to find flaws in all of my friends?"

"I just want you to be careful."

"Everyone does, because they don't know that he protects me from everything."

My mom shook her head, "Honey-"

"I'm done with this conversation. G'night Mother."

I didn't know why in the moment she shut the door that my eyes began to water. Harry's knocking on my window saved me from a night of tears. I sprinted over to my window and let him in. He took me in his arms in the same minute, and listened to my sobs.

"Shh, it's okay." He whispered in my hair.

"No, no it's not." I pulled my face to look at him.

Harry wiped my falling tears, "yes, it is."

"Did you hear everything?" He nodded, "this town's a bitch."

I smiled, "this isn't time for jokes."

"Joe, if I don't tell jokes I'll cry harder than you are."

I finally let go and wiped my face, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I'm just glad you care." Harry followed me as I sat on my bed.

I held onto his hand, "I think I care a little too much. When you're around, it feels like everything is going to be okay. When you're not..."  I bit my lip as I felt him kiss my hand.

"Because of you Joe, I finally have something to live for." Harry murmured against my skin.

"I should let you sleep." He moved over to the other side of my bed.

Pulling me into his chest, he whispered "sweet dreams love" into my hair.

I felt very uneasy seeing Max in the lunchroom the next morning. I tried my best to ignore him. His angry eyes stared at me for the first 10 minutes. I looked everywhere for Harry, hoping he could get Max off of my back. He was nowhere to be found. I knew he wasn't a big fan of lunch, but I had hoped he would come for me. When I got up to get another bowl of fruit, Max stomped over to me.

My body began to tremble, "what do you want Max?"

"Where's your psychopathic boyfriend?"

"You know that nicknames getting pretty old." I hissed.

"Whatever."

"Why are you looking for him?"

"Just wanted to talk to him about something. Give him a message for me, will ya?"

"Depends." I shrugged.

"Tell him I know who killed his Shrink." I shuddered from the cold breeze that was left in his place.

Without thinking I grabbed Max's arm and pulled him out of the cafeteria.

"How do you know about that?" I insisted

. "I can't tell you." He sighed.

"Well, you should've thought of that before coming up to me out of freaking nowhere! Tell me how you know."

Max played tug of war with his thoughts before speaking again.

"I was there that night."

"What? Are you saying that... Y-you-"

"No Joe, relax. I didn't kill her."

"Who did?"

"I was walking home after getting a quick hot chocolate from the shop. I was already late, so I was in a hurry. That's when I saw him at the end of the ally. He had blood all over his hands. I tried to make it look like I hadn't seen anything, but he suspected and slammed me into the wall. He asked me if I knew Harry Styles, and I told him I didn't. But I was going to tell Harry to watch out, that guy is no joke."

"Oh my gosh." I spat.

"Joe, please keep this to yourself."

"I'm used to that."

**