Chapter Nine

Rhys and I chased each other around the magical forest. The trees were large, the branches dipping down towards the ground, the leaves as long as vines almost reaching the dirt. I had to push past the leaves to see in front of me. The forest was beautiful; it was so realistic, so magical. The ground was soft and smooth, some covered with grass, and some covered with just dirt. The sky was a light pink colour; the sun was slowly setting. 

I quickly glanced back to see where Rhys was. He was not behind me; where did he go? I turned 360 degrees; he was nowhere to be seen. I continued to walk forward, pushing past leaves hanging down.  A figure stood a distance away. It was not Rhys, but I had seen the figure before. I slowly walked up to the figure, picking out details, trying to guess who it was. As I got closer, I realised it was Stefan. He turned to look at me, and smiled. I stepped closer and closer to him with each second until we were one foot away from each other. He looked down on me, I looked up at him. We both smiled at each other. Stefan's hand reached out and touched mine, his fingers intertwining with my own. I looked down, realising what he was doing. I looked back up to him; he was still smiling at me. 

Behind us, the sound of someone walking towards us came closer and closer. Stefan looked up, his smile hiding away from the stranger. I turned around; expecting to see a stranger, but Rhys was walking up to us. I let go of Stefan's hand, and turned my body fully to Rhys. He stopped 3 metres away from us, holding out his hand to me. I took small steps towards Rhys. I stopped when I was in the middle of them both. I looked at Rhys, his hand still holding out for mine. I turned back and looked at Stefan; his hand also holding out for mine. Stefan looked pleadingly at me, "Pick me." I could not say anything. I stared at him for a long time, but Rhys voice behind me made me turn around to him. "Pick me." I now stared at Rhys. His was also looking at me pleadingly. Stefan began again, "Pick me." Then Rhys again, "Pick me." Each time they were getting louder and angrier. They both then started pressuring me at the same time, "Pick me! Pick me! PICK ME!" I fell to the ground; this is too much for me. Their voices surrounded me, tormenting me. I don't want this. I don't want to choose!

My eyes flicked open quickly. I was in a small room, lying on a hard object. I tried to move my arms, but I was restricted. I turned my head awkwardly around to see what I was being restricted by. Shackles covered both of my wrists, the chains connected to the cement slate that I was lying on. The cement was cold on the back of my whole body. I turned my head back to the normal position. I tried to move my legs, but they were also restricted. The chains rattled as I slammed my legs back on the cement slab. I sighed. I'm not getting out of these shackles, unless they were old and weak. A small amount of hope rose within me. They could possibly be old and fragile; I could get out of here. I began to life my arms and legs, forcing all of my strength to them, pushing harder so that the chains would break; but nothing. 

I kept trying for another 10 minutes, but still nothing. My annoyance made me give up. I let my arms and legs drop back on to the cement slab, and my head fall back. My body was feeling weak; how long have I been here for? Wait - where am I?! How did I get here?  I tried to remember back; mother and I driving back home from school, the black sedan flipping our car from the intersection, a figure pulling me out of the car... The figure must have kidnapped me! What the fuck?! 

A noise echoing around the bland room made me jump. I looked around, but I could not see anything, even with my powers. Creaking filled the room; a door was being closed. Footsteps were coming closer to me, echoing around the room. As the footsteps came closer, the figure became more noticeable; a tall male wearing a dark coloured suit. He stood in front of me, fear was non-existent. I growled at him warningly. He smiled, clearly amused. He's not scared. He took a step closer, his body features still not noticeable. "You cannot hurt me; you cannot even get out of those weak chains." He laughed as he stepped even closer to me. His voice told me he was in his mid-50's, and he had a cold. Ew, he better not give me a cold. "You are weak, fuck; you're not even a full vampire!" My eyes quickly glanced into his, he knows. I have the man the biggest death glare I could, but I heard him chuckle. "Look, I’m here to make you a deal. I know that the vampires don't know you're a half-breed; so here's my proposition. You help the humans win this war against vampires, and I won't tell any vampires." I was still death glaring him. I didn't know there was a war. I thought about his proposition for a long time. I am a vampire, if I betray them, they'll kill me. But, if they find out I am a half-breed, they'll still kill me. What I do that to my family? Would I save my friends? I had to know what this war was about first. "I need knowledge about this war. Inform me, please." I asked to politely and as posh as I could. The man sniggered at me. "Where do I begin?" It was a rhetorical question, but I felt like being a smart arse. "The start would be nice. I don't want to miss valuable information." A small smile came across both of our faces. He clearly thought I was amusing.