Chapter 4

The two teens ran through Gotham until Wally had to finally stop. He set down his best-friend before collapsing onto the ground of the alley. He clutched his ankle, even with his accelerated healing it still hurt. Robin watched his friend with sympathy as he suddenly hugged the red-head.

                Wally was shocked at first before wrapping his own arms around the boy, “What’s this for?”

                “For sticking with me.” He said, though muffled by Kid Flash’s Spandex.

                “Dude, we are best friends for life. I’m here for you, whether that’s against Dr. Zoom or Batman; I’m here.” Wally replied, patting Robin’s back.

                The black haired boy nodded, though on the inside he was thinking something different, “I want to be something more than that with you Wally! Why can’t you see that?”

                Kid Flash stood but fell back down with a grunt, “I think we should stay here for a while. Let me get some shut eye first.”

                Dick nodded, “Let me see your ankle.” He knelt down and placed the speedster’s ankle on his thighs. He examined it for a moment, it looked fine though a little red. Accelerated healing did the trick, he just needed some rest. He began rubbing the joint as Kid Flash closed his eyes. “He’s going to need some food, or else he’s not going to have energy to get us to Metropolis.”

                He set down the leg and looked at the scratches on Wally’s costume. Like the one on his leg they were fine, except for the red coloring.  He shook his friend awake, “I’m going to get you something to eat alright?”

                Wally smiled, “Food sounds nice. Get me some chips and soda… maybe a sandwich. Or if you can a cake?”

                Robin nodded, “Whatever you want; though I don’t think I have enough for a whole cake.”

                The Boy Wonder jogged to the nearest convenience store, he made sure to change into civvies before entering. Who knows what attention you’re gonna attract dressed as Batman’s ward. He began filling his basket with chips of various brands and flavors. As he was picking out sodas when a familiar voice rung behind him.

                “There you are!” The Flash said, placing a hand on Dick’s shoulder.

                The boy’s eyes widened, “Please don’t tell Bruce! Please!”

                “Relax, first things first; let’s pay for this and then tell me where Wally is.” Dick Grayson and The Flash paid for the food with some strange looks from the owner. Afterwards he led the hero into the alley and pointed to the sleeping red-head.

                They stirred him awake, “Uncle Barry?”

                “Hey kiddo. Here, eat up; you know better than to starve yourself!” The Flash handed him the junk food as Dick watched from behind. Kid Flash began munching hungrily and quickly, devouring half the stock in less than a minute.

                “Robin, do you want some?” Wally offered, tossing him a barbeque chip flavored bag.

                He smiled and sat with his friend, eating it slowly. He hadn’t realized how hungry he was until he actually had something in his mouth. He subconsciously began sliding closer to the red-head; who didn’t seem to mind.

                “Alright you two, this trip is over,” The Flash suddenly said, “You guys need to come home.”  

                Robin stiffened and Wally felt it. He put a hand on his friend’s shoulder before addressing his Uncle, “Uncle Barry could you give us a moment?” The Flash nodded hesitantly before reluctantly going to the alley entrance.

                Once they were alone the red-head spoke, “Dick, I think we should do it.”

                Robin shook his head vigorously, “No I don’t want to!” he yelled, sounding like a child. “You- you can go home. Thanks for your help Wally; really I mean it. But I don’t want to drag you down any further. Just tell the Flash I disappeared!”

                KF sighed before taking the boy’s hands into his own and stroking them softly, “Dick I’m not leaving you, I thought we established that. I will stick by your side!”

                “No Wally! You have to go! You have people who are worried about you! Why do you care so much anyway?”

                Wally frowned at his best friend, his words actually stung a little. He grabbed Dick’s arm and jammed his lips onto the boy’s. It took a moment for it to register for Dick that he was being kissed that he finally joined the intimate gesture. They pulled apart eventually from the lack of air; their faces tinted pink and their breathing heavy.

                “I care because I love you.” He said simply, his tone affectionate, “Now let’s go home.”  

                Tears began sliding down the Robin’s cheeks, “I can’t. Please Wally I can-”

                A sudden break of glass interrupted the two boys. “Harley! What did I say about being careful?”

                “Sorry puddin’! I won’t do it again!”

                The Flash sneakily made his way back to the two, “It can’t be.” The three walked down further until it was unmistakable. A blood curdling laughter echoed out as the heroes ducked to get a view through a small basement window. Harley, Bane, Clayface and the Joker.