Chapter 9

“You alright Rob?” Kid Flash asked, holding Robin into a hug. The Boy Wonder nodded and glanced at the fighting heroes: Artemis held off the Joker goons rushing into the room to help their masters. Miss Martian was helping Superboy remove the kryptonite blade from his leg. Kaldur and the Joker were locked in an epic fight. And Batman and Deathstroke were evenly matched in a battle for dominance.

                “Let’s go, KF.” Robin smiled at him and letting him know that he’s alright. Wally grinned back before dashing out to help Artemis with a certain big goon getting too close to her.

                Robin leaped from the platform to where Miss M. was caring for Superboy, “Is he alright?”

                Miss M. shook her head worriedly, looking at Connor’s troubled sweaty face. Robin reached into his utility belt and took out a pair of tweezers and quickly moved closer to the wound. He reached in with the tool and pulled out the big piece of green rock. He quickly threw it far from the clone, “How do you feel?”

                Superboy looked at Robin weakly, “A bit better but I don’t think I can fight.”

                Dick nodded, “It’s okay, we’ll handle things here. Go get some rest, Miss M. could you get him out of here?” Megan nodded profusely before throwing Conner’s arm over her shoulder and flying off.

                “Aaaarggh!” grunted Kaldur as he was hit again by the crowbar. The leader was on the floor, clutching his chest. His arm was bleeding and his face was bruised and a bit swollen.

                “I think I’m in the mood for fish sticks tonight!” The Joker laughed as he held the crowbar up high before it was thrown from his grasp; Robin held another pair of Birdarangs.

                Joker frowned, “So young so serious.”

                “I’m laughing on the inside.” Robin said, before running at the Clown Prince of Crime. Joker swiped his knife at Dick’s head who luckily ducks before it slices into him. He quickly springs back up with a kick, pushing the clown backwards.

                “You can’t win this Slade.” Batman growled, dodging a gunshot and blocking a slice of the sword.

                “We’ll find out!” Deathstroke kicked the Dark Knight back and got back in his stance. He lunged again at Batman who jumped out of the way and landed behind him. As he turned around he was served with a punch to the face and a boot into a pile of crates.

                “Looks like I was right.”

                “Come Batman, let us finish the act!” said the raspy voice of Clayface, waking from his knock out.

                “Gladly, Karlo.” He said, taking out a freeze bomb and throwing it at the monster.

                “Are you alright Boy Blunder? Or do you need Bat Daddy to save you?” The Joker mocked, watching intently at Robin holding a cut on his shoulder.

                “Let’s just wrap this up Joker.” Dick said, getting back into fighting stance.

                The Joker laughed, “Why is it past your bedtime?” The two ran at each other; the Joker a knife in one hand the crowbar he picked up earlier in the other while Robin held a pair of Birdarangs and a free fist to fly at the white face.

                The Joker swiped with the blade only to miss but successfully hit Robin under the chin with the crowbar, bruising his neck a deep purple. As Dick fell back he threw his weapons, one deflected by the crowbar and the other hitting the clown’s chest.  

                “You’ll pay for that, Bird!”

                “How much?” Robin joked, wiping off some blood.

                “How about that boyfriend of yours,” Joker responded, brandishing a button, “I’ve had Harley drop a few Joker bombs around here! Especially around that doorway where him and arrow girl are fighting off my useless thugs! And guess what I have here?”

                Robin gaped at the button, “Please don’t!”

                “And one word, and pop goes the button and pop goes your speedster boy toy!” Joker laughed, as he held the button high.

“Please!”

“Oh so I’ve reduced the great Boy Wonder into begging well that’s no good! Well better teach him another lesson!” Joker announced, before smiling with an evil chuckle and pressing Robin’s pleas against.

Robin heard the explosion and he saw the rising smoke, but he felt his heart breaking when he saw most of the structure reduced to rubble and any living soul underneath could not have survived.  He felt his anger rising and he saw nothing but red as he rushed him and began a calculated flurry of chops, punches and kicks resulting in the Joker kneeling weak on the ground, panting for air.

“Haha that was great Boy Blunder! Are you going to kill me again?” Robin clutched the Joker’s shirt and took out a particularly sharp birdarangs. “So you are! Finally someone with guts! Do it birdy! Finish me! Think of all the people I’ve hurt, all the places I’ve blown up haha! And no regrets of it all, kill me Bird-Brain… think of your poor Kid Flash!”

Robin tensed under these words, holding the shirt and the weapon tighter; underneath his gloves his knuckles burning white and shaking. “Think of how much that boy meant to you. How much you cared for him. And how I, me… The Joker… took him away with a press of a button haha! Go ahead, end my endless massacre! Finish my life of anarchy and chaos!”

Robin felt his mind say, “Yes, kill him and save the world from all this pain.”  But he felt his heart tell him, “Robin put it down. I’m okay… he didn’t hurt me.” Wait what? Robin looked around and found a red glove covering his own. He looked up unbelieving, but saw him looking concerned down at him. He felt relief rush through his body as Wally carefully took the deadly weapon from his hand and throw it aside.

“NO!” The Joker yelled pushing away Robin and weakly taking out a gun and pointing it at the couple, “I’m going to get something out of tonight! Whether that’s me or you.”

Kid Flash slowly edged his way closer to the clown but he saw the movement and pointed it directly at Wally, “Don’t even try it… I’ve got one more trick up my sleeve! Harley!”

“Yes puddin’?”

“How’s everything with our favorite cat?”

“I’m afraid she’s all tied up right now! Do you want to leave a message!”

“Yes I do, let her know this!” Joker commanded, he looked at the two, “You two better listen up too! We’re gonna play a game… bird or cat. Speedy over here has two options… save Ms. Kyle from Harley definitely blowing her head off or take a chance at me shooting Birdy here. I don’t remember which gun I took this morning…do you Harley?”

Quinn chuckled, “Nope, sorry Mr. J!”

 “You’re call… Cat or Bird,” Joker cocked his gun, smiling cruelly while his gloved finger covered the trigger.

Robin turned to Kid Flash and flashed him a smile before nodding, a sign of whatever happens…I love you. Wally nodded as gave a very quick peck on the lips before speeding to Catwoman’s rescue.

“Looks like the answer is cat…ding ding!” Robin began running towards Joker as the clown cackled and pulled the trigger. Which would hit first, Boy Wonder or bullet?

                From the gun a loud pop emitted…as well as a stick with a flag that read out bang. “Looks like you got the wrong gun,” Robin said as his fist broke the white nose and knocked out clown.