chapter two. {harry}

I've only been home for about a day, but it feels so good to finally be back in Holmes Chapel. Months and months of being on tour can really tire a person out, not to mention the press conferences and management and the rehearsals. I am glad to be away from it for awhile.

Turning over in my bed, I look at the clock and realize that it is already the middle of the day. I shift around in the covers before finally getting out. It was just so comfortable. I never really got enough sleep on the tour bus.

I walk up to my balcony door and open the curtains. Almost immediately, I spot the tattered tree house and smile. Oh, the memories I had in there. I decide to take a quick shower to freshen up before going into town. As I am shuffling through my luggage, which I have not had the time to unpack, I find a plain, white t-shirt to wear. I dig in again to try and look for some pants. In the process, my forefinger slices against a sheet of paper and I feel a sting of pain. Retracting my hand from the bag, I observe my new paper cut. Who knew something so small can cause so much pain?

Carefully, I reach into the bag again and pull out the notebook that cut me. Opening the fragile, moleskin journal, I read some of the things in it. It wasn't mine. It belonged to a girl named Melanie Harte. After she had left Holmes Chapel about three, no four, years ago, I have been keeping it safe. You know, just in case I ever see her again.

She was my best friend. Days, and even weeks, go by when I forget about her, but whenever I read the notes left in the journal, I remember almost everything and I relive every moment I had with her. I remember the day she disappeared, she wasn't missing, she had just left Holmes Chapel for good, apparently. It was graduation day and I was gonna tell her everything, I was going to tell her I loved her, but she was already gone. To where? I still have no idea.

Melanie is the reason for my success. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have tried out for X-Factor. I wouldn't be on top of the world right now. I hope one day I can find her and finally tie up loose ends. Sighing, I gently place the damaged notebook on the desk beside me. I finish getting ready and eventually make my way downstairs.

"Happy belated birthday, Harry." My mum sings from the living room. Yesterday was actually my birthday and I am officially 19 years old.

"Thanks. Is it okay if I use the car today? I'm gonna grab something to eat and then visit an old friend." Patiently, I wait for the response.

"Yes," I knew a 'but' was coming,"but only if you come give your mum a kiss!" I laugh and give her a kiss on the cheek. As I begin to walk away, she lightly slaps my shoulder and says,

"You know, I haven't seen you in months!" Opening the front door, I respond,

"I know, I know, I know. I love you, mum."

* * *

It takes approximately 6 minutes to drive to the nearest café. I park at the curb, turn off the car, and pull out my phone to check my latest messages. I never know when management is gonna pull something from underneath me. I had received multiple messages from different people. I open one from Liam Payne, a fellow band mate.

call me when u can

Stepping out of the small car, I dial Liam's phone. I wonder what he needed. When he doesn't answer, I decide to text him back while simultaneously walking towards the café entrance.