~flashback two. | the first day.

f l a s h b a c k. summer of 2008. Harry 14. Melanie 14.

Just to be clear, it is the summer before the actual story & Harry is not dating Felicity yet. (: 

* * *

“Can we actually do something today?” I asked Harry.  It was already three weeks into summer break and we hadn’t done anything. I mean ANYTHING.  We’ve been sitting on the couch, eating potato chips and talking about useless stuff.

“Sure. What do you want to do?” He asked me.

“Well, I don’t know.” I shrugged and dug my hand into the almost-empty bag of popcorn.

“I feel like we do this every day, you know? I ask you what you want to do but your response is always ‘I don’t know.’” Harry took the bag from me and devoured the rest.

Laughing, I said,

“Sorry, I honestly don’t know what we should do!”

We sat in front of the tele and thought for a moment,

“Let’s go to the beach!” Harry exclaimed. Approvingly, I nodded and said,

“YES. Haven’t been there in awhile.” Picking my legs off the floor, I folded them in and gazed at Harry.

His green eyes stared back at me.  Our eye contact and silence went on for a while until he finally spoke up.

“Well?” he asked me.

I scrunched my nose up and looked at him again,

“Well what?”

“LET’S GO!” He hopped off the couch and managed to grab on to my arms and swing me forward. With my face flat on the floor, Harry grabbed onto my waist and tugged me up.

“I’m gonna throw up, Harry.” I laughed.

“Oh shut up, Mel.” Before I could walk away, he threw me over his shoulder and ran upstairs to his room.  The blood was rushing to my head and I was dizzier than ever.

“Okay, I’ll meet you back here in ten minutes, yeah?” Harry put me down and took hold of my shoulders.

“Yeah.” I replied, stumbling over my feet.

* * *

“Well, shit.” Harry shouted as we sat on the front porch of his house.  We were surrounded with beach bags and towels and chairs and umbrellas. I was sitting on the picnic basket.  Laughing at his response, I said,

“It’s okay, maybe when your mom comes back later? Or tomorrow?”

Harry shook his head in frustration and said,

“But I wanna go to the beach now!!”

Giggling, I messed with his hair and got up in front of him,

“You’re acting like a little kid.”

He shrugged for a second and then started to chuckle,

“Sorry. I was just really excited to hang out with you.”

I raised an eyebrow. Hang out with me? But we hang out everyday.

“Well, we can hang out tomorrow! It’s okay, Harry! We hang out everyday.”

He sighed,

“I guess.”

As I sat back down on the step, I looked up at the sky and sighed too. I don’t know why I was angry, but I was.  Inside, I felt like I really wanted to go to the beach with Harry. I don’t know. I don’t know.