chapter eleven. {harry}

"I'm sorry, mate. I know you're on break, but it's the only time they can meet." One of my band's managers spoke through the phone and I rolled my eyes. I tried to hide my annoyance as best I could.

"Also, Niall and Zayn are unable to attend. Possibly, Louis. But you and Liam are the closest to Chester, so it shouldn't be a hassle." He continued and I let out a short 'mh.' It wasn't a hassle for you, but it was definitely a burden for us.

"The meeting is tomorrow at AFIRE Records in Chester. We've been there a couple times before, I believe." It sounded like he was shuffling through some papers. "Be there no later than 12. And you're working with Ryan and Tedd." After he made me repeat the information, I hung up the phone and laid back down on the bed.

Management always sprang things on us like this, I shouldn't have been surprised. It was just tiring and demanding. Sometimes, I wished I didn't have this lifestyle, but I am eternally grateful for all the opportunities I've had.

* * *

"I'm sorry, love, I got called in for work tomorrow. We won't be able to hang out." I said, as I played with Mel's hair. Her hand was resting in my lap and she was facing the telly.

"It's alright. I've got work tomorrow, too." She curled into a ball and didn't speak another word about the topic. She didn't ask questions and neither did I. It wasn't like I was keeping a secret, well, I was, but I wasn't lying either. Was I?

We spent the whole week fixing the tattered tree house, which is in far better shape than what it was before. We managed to restore the rope ladder and basic structure of the house. After we finished painting the outside a nice blue shade, with Riley's help, we decorated the inside with lights and newly-stuffed bean bags.

"Let me take you to dinner tonight." The idea popped in to my mind and I waited for Melanie to respond. She shifted her head and stared up at me. Even in this position, she was still the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen.

"Who? Me?" She questioned, a small line creased between her eyebrows and I stifled a laugh.

"Who else would I be talking to?" I leaned down and kissed her forehead. Immediately, the crease disappeared and she relaxed deeper into my lap.

"Well," she huffed silently, "I just wanted to make sure you weren't talking to yourself." Melanie smiled and I could see the light in her hazel eyes.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm talking to the only girl in the room, who also happens to be my girlfriend." It just spilled out.

"Oh? We're puttin' labels on each other now?" She giggled and I nodded my head, triumphantly. If this was my way of asking her to be mine, then it had happened smoothly.

"That would make you my boyfriend, yeah?" She said, and my smile grew even bigger.

"You've got a problem with that, Harte?" I joked and she bit onto her bottom lip to keep from laughing again. God, she was so cute.

"No, actually. I like it, Styles. Have you got a problem with it?" She giggled and I shook my head. "It's a date then." I traced my thumb down her jaw and then the outline of her lips. Melanie was, undoubtedly, breathtaking and I could stare at her all day. I could look at her my whole life and still be astounded by her and even then, there wouldn't be a single sentence that could capture her beauty.

* * *

Tapping my knuckles against Melanie's front door, I waited with a delicate rose in my hand. I was going to knock on her balcony door, but I decided that this way was more, uhm, classic.