chapter nine. {harry}

"You look different now
like someone else
and you sound
like someone else too.
And I could barely recognize you anymore.
But there is something
familiar inside of you,
that chaos,
that same wild energy
that I have.
And tonight I see it piercing
out of you,
and it is calling my name,
the same way mine called yours
many moons ago,
like the night I betrayed myself
and fell fastly
into love."
~R. W. D.

We were standing underneath the Viaduct in Holmes Chapel and Melanie had never looked so beautiful. She seemed so content with life and I wondered if I was part of the reason for her happiness. As she ran across the grassy pasture, I couldn't help but smile. Her beauty radiated effortlessly and she didn't even know the effect she had on me.

"Harry, come on!" She laughed and ran farther away from me. Weaving through the arches of the bridge, I chased after her.

I couldn't wait any longer. I had to tell her how I felt before I lost her again. I wasn't going to miss my chance this time. And I don't think I could last another four years without Melanie. She was all I ever needed and I'm glad she's here with me now.

"Mel!" I called out to her, but she was too far away. The sun was setting and I was growing anxious. How would she react? What would she say? Does she feel the same way?

The bovine pasture was dotted with roaming cattle and Melanie had taken time to inspect one of the cows. The occasional, low rumble of the railway above was the only other noise, aside from Mel's quiet cooing.

"Melanie," I shouted again. This time her gaze averted towards me and I would be lying if I said she didn't take my breath away. The wind had swooped her hair in front of her face, but her hazel eyes still shone through her loose curls. Her pink lips curled slightly and the smile was evident in her eyes. I rapidly closed the distance between us and I realized we were only a couple of feet away from each other.

"Can we take the cow home?" She pleaded and the soft sound of her laugh filled my ears.

"He'll eat through all your clothes." I stated, stepping closer to the cow, who was unaware of our presence.

"Then I would be living in Holes Chapel." Melanie smiled again and I laughed at her terrible joke.

"I think you've been spending too much time with me." I said and she giggled.

I had to tell her now. She needed to know how much she meant to me.

"Not enough, actually." She looked to the cow that had decided to eat grass somewhere else. I was somewhat glad that it was gone, so that Melanie and I could have complete privacy.

"Melanie," I breathed out again, taking another step closer to her. Immediately, I could feel her warmth that I hadn't realized I craved so much. An unnerving desire to be as close as possible to her nudged at me, but I resisted, for now.

"Yes?" She questioned slowly. It was cold enough outside to send shivers up and down my arms, but the sight of Melanie's pink nose ran a shock through my spine. She was, undeniably, the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen.

"I-I think I've waited long enough to say this," I began, my stomach was turning over and over in my body.

"I --," Before I could continue, Melanie gasped and reached her hand out to my hair. She brushed something from my head and looked up.

"Harry!" She grinned, but I didn't follow her gaze up to the sky. A small, white speck drifted into my view and landed on Mel's long eyelashes. Not long after, more specks were falling on her head and coat. It had begun to snow and I was wearing a thin, long-sleeved shirt.