Prologue | Pains of the Past

"Kookie oppa!" a 6 year-old girl named, Minyoung screamed as she ran into Jungkook's house and into his bedroom.

"Wake up! Its your birthday, Kookie wake up!" screamed Minyoung as she jumped on top of the sleepy boy underneath her.

Jungkook slowly opened his eyes cringing from the loud noise coming from the although tiny, but full of energy young girl in front of him. "Minyoung-ah...," whined Jungkook with a still unconscious mind. "Give me 5 more minutes," he pouted.

"No, I Have a surprise for you! Get up!" Minyoung screamed again while pulling one of Jungkook's arms to get the boy out of his bed.

After hearing the word 'surprise' Jungkook snapped out of his morning daze and hopped out of bed. "Okay, lead the way, Ms. Choi!" Jungkook said as he raised his right arm making a salute acting as if he was in the army talking to his commander.

Minyoung smiled brightly and grabbed his hand. "Let's go!" she screamed and ran out of his house and into their backyard.

Jungkook and Minyoung were neighbors. As a matter of fact, they were more than neighbors; rather they were the best of friends, growing up along side one another ever since they could remember. They were inseparable and nothing and no one could break them apart. In their backyard, their fathers' had built them a tree-house which was placed on the biggest tree in the middle of both of their houses. Ever since then, they've been in that tree-house everyday, from dawn until dusk, with each other.

Before Minyoung climbed up the ladder leading up to the treehouse, she let go of Jungkook's hand and said, "Stay right here and cover your eyes. Don't peek!"

Minyoung then continued up the ladder finding the box she had hidden the night before. She walked to the toy box and uncovered the lid revealing a small black ring case. She grabbed it and headed back to where Jungkook was.

Minyoung held out the black box in front of her and yelled "Okay, open your eyes!"

Jungkook immediately opened his eyes and stared at the box first with an excited expression but then turned into a confused gaze. "Are you proposing to me?"

She looked at him with shock, then burst into fits of laughter and fell on the grass. After a good five minutes, she got herself together and stood on her two feet again while Jungkook just looked at her with his wide eyes and mouth open.

"No silly, it's your present. Open it." She held the case back out in front of her for Jungkook to take.

He stared at her, then slowly reached for the box. As he opened the lid, he saw a silver ring. He carefully took it out of the box and observed the ring more closely. The outside of the ring was just simple and plain, but the inside was carved with a 'JK' and 'MY' and in between was a treble clef, which represented both of their love for music.

"Minyoung-ah..." As Jungkook tried to say something, but was completely speechless. He then hugged the mini girl in front of him with all of his seven year-old might. "I love it."

"Happy Birthday, Kookie" Minyoung says with the widest grin and wraps her arms around him.

...

"MinYoung! Come quick, your mother just fell!" Mr. Choi screamed. MinYoung hurriedly ran lightning speed to the kitchen.

"Daddy! What's going on, what happened to mommy?" MinYoung quickly kneeled by her mother and clutched her hand tightly while a tear came down her face.

"I don't know sweetie," he said with a concerned face. He carried Mrs. Choi bridal style and buckled her into the car.

When they arrived at the hospital, both father and daughter were waiting very impatiently outside of the room.