11 | Could You Be... - J

It's been half-an-hour since we came to the music room, and I had to say I loved every single minute, check-that: second, of it.

We started talking about random things. How school was different in America compared to Korea, how our music taste was pretty similar (discluding my love for american rap), and how we both shared a lot of common interests.

We were sitting on bean bags in the loft, where I sat when I first saw her playing the piano, and were occupied in talking and eating Korean snacks.

"Where in California are you from?" I asked her.

"Los Angeles."

"No way...I've been there!" I exclaimed. I then explained to her about our show 'American Hustle Life' a few years ago, and told her about what I loved and hated about it. Especially the place I worked at with the horrible boss who gave us a "helicopter ride" that barely came off the ground. She laughed and then told me that she knew the helicopter place I was talking about, and further explained how it got shut down a year ago. That news made my day, and I'd have to keep in mind to tell Jimin that. He'd be flying off the walls once he knew.

"Do you feel homesick? You've been away for a while now."

She looked around the room with an unreadable expression before responding, "Actually, not really." She looked towards me. "Honestly, California didn't feel like home to me. I mean, it's been where I've lived since I could remember, but I guess it's just different without an actual family."

I wanted to hug her so bad, and tell her everything would be alright. I wanted to comfort her somehow, but I didn't know how. I couldn't imagine what it felt like to be an orphan. My family was so supportive and loving, that I couldn't imagine a life without them.

"I'm sorry." I said as a whisper.

She just shook her head and stood up from her spot. I gave her a questioning look in which she proceeded to walk downstairs.

She sat on the piano bench and started playing.

I didn't want to just awkwardly stand there staring at her, so I took the more normal route of sitting on a grey armchair close to the piano. I couldn't help but to keep looking over at her seated at the piano playing. It intrigued me how she looked so elegant just sitting there.

As she played the song further, I couldn't but feel that it was a familiar tune to one I heard when I was younger. And what made it shocking was that only one other person new that tune.

***

"Kookie! What do you think about this," Minyoung asked as I walked into the piano class of our elementary school

"Kookie! What do you think about this," Minyoung asked as I walked into the piano class of our elementary school. She always had practice after school, and I'd come from my dance class to walk home with her. It was our routine.

She started playing a melody that I really loved. It was slow, but it was just the style of music that Minyoung liked, therefore I learned to love.