Chapter 18 ~ Ice Cold

"Baby close your eyes, don't open til the morning light
Baby don't forget, we haven't lost it all yet
All we know for sure, is all that we are fighting for 
".
~ Syndicate by The Fray

As they moved further north, it only grew colder.

It was not simply the temperature, it was in life. Hope froze over, as did joy. Reality seemed to creep over them like a morning frost. The atmosphere was cold, dead. The world around them seemed to slow, and to almost disappear completely.

But still, they sat outside each night in front of a fire. This was simply on Draco's seemingly mad request; but he simply liked the snow. He like the way that it was beautiful but that it faded quickly and came rarely. He liked the way that every snowflake was different, because in his world, everything seemed to blend together and remain the same.

In a sense, they were like Granger; unique, haunting, delicate... beautiful.

"Draco" she murmured, her gloved hand in his own. "Are you sure you don't want to go back inside the tent? Night's falling and it's going to get even colder, if at all possible".

He shook his head. "Just wait a while. We've come up far enough north to see the auroras now... I've always wanted to, you know. It'll help take our minds off things around us. Just trust me".

"I do trust you" she replied quietly, linking their arms now. He could feel her shiver. "I-It's so c-cold".

"You can go inside you know... If you'd like" he offered, gesturing to the tent a few yards behind them. "I don't want you to freeze to death out here, who would drive me madly insane without you here?"

She swatted his arm before planting a light kiss on his cheek. He could feel her silent chuckles against his skin. "You can always make it go away, you know" she admitted tenderly, running her thumb over his cheekbone. "The pain".

"Where are the aurora?" he complained.

"It's cloudy".

His features seemed to rearrange into comprehension. "Sometimes beautiful things are hidden in the storm" he murmured, catching her eye meaningfully.

"Sometimes they are" she agreed, tightening her hold on his hand and her grip on his arm.

:::::::::::::::::

They were drawing close to the location of the Death Eater camp, and that seemed to worry her much more than it worried Draco. He seemed almost calm, but then she remembered what he had said the night that Ron had died. He could just contain it; but she couldn't.

"Granger, what are you doing? You've been pacing back and forth across the kitchen for an hour and it's driving me mad".

"I'm thinking" she answered in a somewhat muffled tone.

He groaned. "Well I'm trying to read and the sound of your footsteps is irritating me".

"Go in the bedroom then" she snapped.

"Well you're in a spectacular mood now aren't you?" he muttered.

"You're never in a good mood either, you know" she pointed out.

"I never said I was".

He stood up next to the couch he had been sitting on and they simply glared at each other in the same standoffish way that they always glared at each other.

"You're a bastard, you know. I'm trying to cope with this".

"Since when does walking across the room repeatedly and driving me bloody insane count as 'coping'?" he replied, raising his eyebrows.

The Grey In His Eyes! Dramoine Story (Draco & Hermione)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें