Chapter 24

3rd Person POV

"We're leaving!" Tony said as soon as he slammed the front door closed.

"Is it safe?" Steve said coming out the kitchen drying a bowl.

"Not if we don't leave," Tony countered.

Steve raised an eyebrow at that. He looked at Bruce hoping to understand the reason for their sudden flee back home. It wasn't that Steve didn't want to go home, but he liked his relaxing night at the farmhouse.

He liked his relaxing night alone with Tony and wouldn't mind doing it again. Regardless, he's still Captain America and he needs to make sure he keeps his team safe.

He put the freshly cleaned dish away and met his team in the living room.

"Do we have to leave now? I'm just starting to like this place," Pietro whined.

"Yes," Tony said firmly, clearing not in the mood for a city hall debate.

"You know, I think I'll stay here," Pietro said smugly and plopped himself, face first, onto the couch.

Tony looked at Steve with an exasperated look. It was like dealing with children.

"Now, let's think about this. We can't stay here forever. It's a safehouse for a reason," Steve began explaining.

"Exactly," Tony said proudly. He was glad someone understood.

"But Tony why is it so important that we leave right at this second?" Steve asked the smaller man.

Tony rolled his eyes. Apparently, no one gets it. The life of a genius is hard.

"I forgot to feed my fish," the brunette retorted sarcastically.

"I thought fish supply nutrients for you? Doth you feed them, care for them, then slaughter them?" Thor asked confused about of having pet fish versus eating one.

Tony groaned and threw his hands in the air dramatically because, seriously, why isn't anyone understanding?

He just wanted to shove them all in the Quinjet so they can leave. Someone could be hacking into his billion dollar company or stealing classified Avengers weapons, but no. His team just wants to sit around and drink tea all day.

"Maybe Tony's overreacting a bit but we do need to go back," Bruce input.

"What happened?" Steve asked seriously. He could tell something was up between the two scientists that they weren't spilling.

"Someone infiltrated the tower," Bruce informed. Everyone in the room immediately perked up at that.

"No, Pepper did," Tony added.

"Pepper? I do not understand-"

Tony quickly cut the thunder god off, "Me neither, okay? We just- we just need to get there."

Tony was a bit on edge. No one really saw how anxious he was to rush Pepper out of his tower. He's not trying to make her out as the bad guy but he is trying to sort out his relationships.

Steve looked back and forth between Tony and Bruce. He gauged the mood of the room by looking at everyone's faces before making the decision.

"We're leaving," he said, breaking the silence.

A groan was heard from Pietro as Clint hauled him off the couch. Steve patted the speedster on the back because he felt the same way. All Steve wanted was a break from his hero life, but that's too much to ask.

So, he manned up and led his team back home. They made a plan on the Quinjet, just in case Pepper wasn't the only one in the house. Tony was the first inside the tower.