Chapter 1

I woke up in a huge white room. Beside me were beeping machines which was checking my vital functions. My head ached, and I didn't know where I was. For a moment I just blinked in the white light, and then I turned my head. There was Castle sitting next to me. He had tears in his eyes and held my hand tightly. I slipped my hand from his and I looked at him. He gave me a kiss on the forehead and smiled. I didn't understand what was he doing and why was he doing it so I gave him a startled stare unable to say a single word. Again he grabbed my hand and I again pulled away.
"Hey," he said to me quietly.
"Where I am? What happened? And why are you still trying to grab my hand?" I asked, but I didn't answer him back to his greeting. Rick looked at me a little suspiciously and then took a deep breath.

"You're in a hospital on intensive care unit. You worked in a secret lair and you had to pretend to be a killer. And the answer to the third question is that I'm your fiancé and that's the reason why I'm still trying to grab your hand," he said, smiling just by the corners of his mouth. I was so confused. He just said that we are engaged? It couldn't be true. We are not a couple so how could we be engaged?
"Castle, I don't know what you're thinking, but we two are not engaged. We are not a couple, so I do not understand what you are talking about. Yes, I know you told me that you love me, but it doesn't mean that we are a couple and we are even engaged," I said quickly as I could over my tiredness. The next moment I realized what I said, but there was no way to take it back. So now he knows that I lied to him all these months.
This time, Castle looked puzzled and I saw that in his eyes were tears starting to form.
"Kate, this has happened before 2 years. We've been together for a year and 11 months and 10 months ago I asked you to marry me. We engaged. Don't you remember it?" he asked in a shaky voice, tears slowly began falling from his eyes. I stayed looking at him with my mouth open and eyes wide. So I have amnesia? It could not be true! For sure he was lying and trying to thread it to make it look like we're a couple. Castle and another of his jokes. Just another one of his jokes, isn't it? He was crying. Maybe he's telling the truth, and I did not answer him yet.
"No. I don't remember anything of it. The last thing I remember is that I went home from the precinct, because we have closed the case. You know, someone had detonated a bomb in a place full of people and we were investigating it," I finished my whispered answer. In Castle's face were mixed emotions. For a moment he looked angry and immediately afterwards like a lost puppy. He stood from his chair and kissed me on the forehead. He stroked my hair and then he left. I laid in bed and I didn't know what to think or what to do. I was completely lost.