chapter 3

Doctors have constantly been in and out, bring good news, then bad.

It's been hours now.
The sun had already set , when I went outside to get some 'fresh air'. But that was just my lame excuse to get away from the moaning nurse 'you have to eat sir'

But what she had been doing was working, I found myself to finish an over sized hamburger she offered, along with some headache pills.

I was standing by a metal railing, looking over the city lights, I could feel the icy breeze hit me, so I decided to zip the jacket up

The though of the jacket made me teary...It was his, his adored grey jacket, "he loves this stupid thing" I said looking down at it.

It was the only thing that kept me sane at the moment, the only thing that stopped me from jumping off this high hospital, and splatting at the bottom where an emergency ambulance was parked

Having this jacket reminded me that he could still survive this, we could still survive this, together.

Okay, enough preaching to myself, I just wanted to look over into all the colourful lights, having no thoughts in my mind.

My moment of science lasted a full minute before a woman came rushing onto the roof crying, she stood near the edge and threw up.

I watched how, what I assumed, was her over sized hamburger bits probably also given by the nagging nurse,fall fifteen stories down, the thought made me roll my eyes

After a few seconds of vomit, she stopped, luckily the smell was taken by the wind, so I was not effected.

She halted for a while, as the last bit of her food dripped from her mouth. Until she walked over towards me.

"Are you going to use that" she asked, pointing to a napkin hanging half out of my pocket, I had used a whole lot of them to clean up my coffee mess.
Not that the nurse didn't offer, I just felt it wasn't fair to her how she had brought the coffee...and then had to clean it again.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the napkin, then handed it to her "nope, it's all yours" I said, as she took it from my hand

"Thank you", she mumbled, then whipped the slime from around her lips.

"Cancer" she said, looking back at me, "my son, 5 years old, is in the hospital right now, trying to fight his cancer"

I looked at her then back at the city, she obviously wanted me to explain my story to her next, but I didn't have the strength to have to re-live it in my memories, so I just responded plainly "I'm sorry to hear"

She looked to the city, "it could be worse"

I paused at these words, how could something, as bad as that, be worse?
As bad as this? Be worse?

The words, upsetting me, caused me to excuse myself, telling the lady I wished her all the best, and then making my way back to the waiting room...

Text: so how's about that date, if you're interested, text me back ;)

I don't believe it, he actually found my number. I grinned hard at the screen of my phone

Should I text him back? A total stranger I met in a small coffee shop? That for all I know, could be setting me up to kill me later.

Reply: I'm surprised, I didn't think you would actually bother searching

I smiled at my reply.
It only took a minute before he replied

Text: no ways, it's actually you?

Reply: the one and only

Text: so wait, does this mean you're up for a date?

Reply: why not

We then arranged on a time, after I gave him my address. He told me that it was a surprise where he would be taking me.

"You know, not even girls stress this much about how they look" Catherine said, as she was watching me fix my hair in the mirror.

She was sleeping over at my apartment for the weekend to apologise about the coffee shop incident

Her reason for not showing up was another one of her one night stand drunken excuse for a human being that she usually picked up at the bar.
But I spared myself the details of her wild experience by telling her that it was okay, and that I wasn't mad at her.

There was a knock at the door. I felt the blood rush up to my head as I started to feel dizzy

I snapped back as I got a slap on the back, "hay, stop being so nervous, go have some fun once and a while, and no need to return tonight, if you understand what mean" she shot me a wink, one of those over exaggerated winks, where you have to move your whole head to get the message across.

I opened the door, and there he stood, taller than before, because I had only seen him when he was sitting down.
He had long dark blue jeans on, and from what I could tell, a black shirt, but It was hard to be sure as it was covered by his familiar grey Hoddie

I'm glad I decided to wear my black skinny jeans together with my violet jersey.
Otherwise I would have looked over dressed

"Ready?" He said, holding out his hand.

I joined my hand to his.

"Why not"