THE BIRTHDAY DISASTER SCENE

**THE BIRTHDAY DISASTER SCENE**

For the past hour I’ve been avoiding the birthday boy. Each and every time he would walk into the kitchen, I’d go out the back door. Every time he’d go out the back door, I’d go into the front entrance and into the living room. And every time he’d go into the living room, I’d go back into the kitchen. A never ending cycle so he won’t have a chance to talk to me.

I’m currently in the living room, sitting down at one of the chairs his mom has placed out. She’s removed her couches and sofas to make room for a dance floor. Right now, Tammy and Mikey are grinding to some crappy pop song that has too much autotune in it. If my father ever saw what they’re doing right now…

“Hey.”

I glance over. “Hey, Jake!” A grin spreads over my lips and I attack him into a hug without thinking about it. He chuckles and hugs back for a quick second before pulling back.

“So,” He smirks, “like the party so far?”

I sigh. “It’s alright. I’ve been trying to avoid running into Scene.”

“How’s that working out for you?”

“Pretty good, actually.”

He chuckles. “Sooner or later your going to run into him.”

I snort and cross my arms. “Not if I can help it.”

He cocks an eyebrow. “You sure about that?”

“Of course. There’s no way I’m screwing his birthday party up for him,” I bob my head up and down.

A smirk fits his face. He hooks a finger in the opposite direction. I follow his finger to see Scene glaring at the both of us with…jealousy? “Why’s he glaring at us like that?”

“Beats me,” He shrugs, but his smirk says otherwise.

“I gotta go, Jake,” I rush out before Scene gets a chance to come over here. I go out to the backyard, needing some cool night air.

I pace back and forth, my dress swooshing with me. I’m debating if I should walk home now. It’s only ten and the party is going to last two more hours. I’m going to run into Scene at least once and I don’t really want that to happen. But the again, I don’t need him driving me home.

“Why are you here?”

I jump at Scene’s voice. It’s icy and hollow. “Your mom…invited us.”

He stares me down, crossing his arms. Finally, he sighs. “And you figured I wanted you here?”

“My whole family was coming, I can’t just say I’m not going,” I fire back at him.

“Next time, stay home,” He snaps back.