THE DRESS SCENE

**THE DRESS SCENE**

“Can’t I just wear jeans and a t-shirt?”

“Do you want to impress Scene?”

I bite my lip. “Maybe.”

“Then you will wear a dress,” Jake sighs, plucking one from the racks. “How bout this one?”

I grimace at the bright pink tornado. “Hell no.”

“That’s what I thought.”

The fourth of July is right around the corner. Apparently, Jake is taking me to a summer barbeque. Scene’s going to be there, but probably not alone. Jake has forced me to come dress shopping with him. It’s only a barbeque, so I just want to wear jeans. But I can’t do that.

Sighing, I search through more clothing, but nothing stands out at me. That and my stomach has been growling like crazy. “Can’t we take a break?”

Jake throws me a suspicious glare. “Why?”

“I’m hungry.”

He chuckles, nodding his head. “Fine. Applebee’s sound good?”

I bubble up in excitement. “Sounds amazing.”

So we head out of the store in the mall, walking towards the mini Applebee’s on the downstairs floor. Jake snakes his arm around my waist. I jump, whipping my head towards him. He shoots me a playful smirk. “Gotta look like we’re dating, babe.”

I relax. “Oh yeah. I forgot.” I come a bit closer to him.

We get to the restaurant and we’re seated instantly. I guess there’s not many people here today. The waiter takes our drink orders, scurrying off and leaving us alone in the booth. “Hey Jake?”

“Yeah?”

“How did you and Scene become friends?”

He chuckles, grin stretching wide. “In freshman year, I was on my skateboard and I crashed into him.”

My eyes widen. “You what?”

Jake nods. “He was completely pissed at me. He started yelling, got me pissed too. We almost had a fight right there in the school parking lot. Then we calmed down, went our separate ways. Next day, we bumped into each other again. Instead of yelling, we kind of just laughed. Been friends ever since.”

The waiter comes back with our drinks and takes our orders. I sip on my lemonade thoughtfully. “That’s nice.”

“Yeah, I know.” He takes a sip of his Sprite. “What about you two?”