THE POOL SCENE

**THE POOL SCENE**

“THIS IS THE LAST TIME I’M COMING IN HERE, PIA!”

I groan and stay in my fetal position. “Go away.” Something hits me in the head and I groan again. I peel off the layers of blankets and sheets to see one of my purple sneakers sitting next to my face. “You threw a shoe at me?”

My sister shrugs. “It had to be done. I will throw the other one if you don’t wake the hell up. It’s already 11.”

I throw my blankets back over my head, snuggling into a ball. “Three more hours.”

She lets out an exasperated breath. “Pia, just wake up already! You can’t waste your days away in your bed!”

“I will do exactly that for the whole summer.” Just so I won’t have to face Scene. Or his bitchy girlfriend.

“I’m going to get mom,” She threatens.

Mom? She doesn’t do shit. I’ll be surprised if she’s more awake than I am. “You do that.”

Tammy huffs and marches out of my room, screaming the whole way down the stairs. I don’t know where she’s going or if she’s coming back. Who cares though, I’ve been left alone to sleep my day away. That’s exactly what I plan on doing today. And maybe the whole week. Or the whole summer.

I stay in my fetal position, my pillows welcoming me back to dreamland. Thing is, Tammy hates dreamland and plans on burning it down to the ground. I hear her thudding footsteps come back up the stairs and I groan out loud again. She’s back.

With pots and pans.

She starts banging a wooden spoon against a pot and marching around my room.

The worst thing?

“CAMP TOWN LADIES SING THIS SONG, DOO DAH, DOO DAH!”

I grit my teeth, wanting oh so bad to strangle my singing sister. 

“DE CAMP TOWN RACETRACK’S FIVE MILES LONG. OH, DEE DOO-DA DAY!”

I fling myself up, hissing and clawing at my sister. “I’M UP!”

She throws me a sheepish grin, stopping the head splitting banging noises. “Good. I didn’t know the next verse to that song anyways.”

I’m dragged downstairs, still half asleep. My hair is all disheveled and I’m probably going to fall asleep on the kitchen table. Tammy sits me down and I don’t even realize whose staring at me from the other side of the table. A bowl of cereal is in front of me, so I automatically try and start eating it.

“What time is it?” I yawn, pushing the bowl aside and resting my head against the table.