Chapter 1: A Spy

Remember:

Y/N= Your name

You were standing outside the gates of Phoenix Drop. You'd been spying on this village for years, gathering information about them for O'Khasis, but today, you would go inside, and once they trusted you, every single piece of private information that went around in the village would be yours.

"Hello?" You call to the guard that stands by the gate. His name is Brian, and you know him from your days in O'Khasis. He's a spy in the village and will let you in, no questions asked.

"Oh, uh, hello. " He pretends to question you, and then opens the gates so you can get in. You step onto the streets for the first time. You've been inside the walls before, but only on rooftops and tree tops, as it's too risky on foot.

You spot the lord of Phoenix Drop, Lord Aphmau talking to High Priest Zane's brother, also her head guard, you quickly slip behind a tree, before they spot you.

"Alright, maybe the escape tunnel is a good idea, but what if O'Khasis finds out? They'd have a way into our walls!"

"This information could be restricted to you, me and the other guards?" Zane's brother responds

"Okay. So, where do you want to put it?" Aphmau asks. You know to stop their conversation right after this topic is over, before they can start talking about fortifications.

"I was thinking in a remote place, that not many people go. That way it wouldn't be discovered."

"Good idea Garroth. Should we-" You step out of your hiding place and start towards them.

"Oh, hello!" Lord Aphmau says, not sounding the least bit concerned that some random stranger was in her walls. Idiot. "Who might you be?"

"Hello, my name is Y/N! I just escaped from some bandits. May I stay in your village for a bit?" You ask, your lie coming back to you.

"Uh, ok. Just don't cause any trouble, we've had enough from O'Khasis." She says. Oh, don't worry, little lord. There's plenty more to come.

You follow Aphmau to an empty house. Your neighbour seems to be a librarian, and there's a pink and white cafe across the street. Nice place to live. You walk downstairs and open your backpack. A sleeping bag, a communication amulet, your iron sword, and a disguise. Aphmau tells you she needs to check up on something, and will see you later.

***

After you've personalized your new house, you go out to find Aphmau again. You'll tell the High Priest about what you've learned tonight, as you promised to. After wandering through the streets for a while, you look up at a huge guard tower. You look around to make sure no one is watching you, and you slip inside. Voices come from the top.

"The secret entrance will be in the forest, and the end of the west wall. We'll have three arrow traps that only shoot people coming from the outside. People on the inside can deactivate the traps at any time, by flicking a lever near the entrance." That's Zane's brother, no, Garroth speaking.

"Good idea Garroth, should we get to work on it now?" Says a voice you don't recognize. You need to find out who this is. You sift through your potions bag, looking for the one that will help you. There. An invisibility potion. You carry many, just in case of an emergency. You splash it on you, wincing at the loud noise. Luckily, there didn't notice you. You poke your head up the ladder.

You see three people, Aphmau, Garroth, and the mysterious speaker. You quickly reach into your bag, and open up the journal that Zane gave you, with all the information you need. You look through the pages of citizens of Phoenix Drop. You find his page.

His name is Laurence. Now you remember him from your spying missions. He's the second in command guard, and Garroth's best friend. He helps Garroth with his crush on Aphmau. You've sometimes suspected he has one on Aohmau as well, but you can't be sure.

"Oh, by the way, there's someone new in town" Lord Aphmau says. You stiffen, they're talking about you.

"Oh, yes. Y/N. She seemed... Odd. I don't understand why you let her stay." Garroth says. All of a sudden, you feel the effects of the invisibility potion wearing off. You quickly scramble down the ladder, but fall off the third bar. You thump onto the ground.

"What was that?"

Hello! I really hope you like my first story. Thank you to some of my friends, who helped with editing. The original copy of this was so full of mistakes.

:D