Chapter 13: Haunting Questions

You yawn and wake up, looking around you. Laurance snores his head off beside you, and you smile. The sun makes your eyes burn, so you cover them. You stretch and get up, off the grass where you fell asleep. Aphmau has found the two of you the night before, and had said that we'd set sail for Phoenix Drop in the morning, as we can't stay on O'Khasis's land, where we are right now.

You poke Laurance awake.

"Gah!" He yells, jerking awake. "That tickles!" You giggle, but cover it up and tell yourself that even if he likes you at the moment, he still could change his mind, so you have to act normal. Like the girl he met on that hill in Phoenix Drop. You calm yourself.

"Seriously Laurance? You can defend yourself against O'Khasis guards, but you can't even fight off a tickle?"

"Hey! Tickles make me squirm! I hate it!" He says. You laugh. "Fine then, how do you like it?"

Laurance tackles you and tickles you. You screech and try to get away. He laughs and continues, and you slap his hand, but he's too strong.

"Hey, you two love birds, I think it's time to go!" A voice calls, and you sit up, and flash Laurance a dirty look. He winks at you, and you sigh.

Aphmau comes out of the forest and looks down at the two of you.

"We said to meet us at the boat by dawn!" Aphmau gestures at the sun, climbing higher and higher into the sky.

"Sorry, Laurance couldn't stop distracting me." You say.

"Hey! It wasn't just me!"

"Okay, okay, stop it. Just come with me." Aphmau sighs and starts walking. You and Laurance scramble to your feet, and follow. The three of you stay silent for the walk, and you all enjoy the cold breeze, that seems to indicate winter will be coming soon. It's odd, because you've stayed warm for a very long time during autumn.

You notice Garroth in the distance, near the boat. He waves, and gets in, and pretends to start the boat.

"Don't you dare Garroth!" Aphmau whisper-screams, not wanting to alert the guards. Garroth laughs silently, and stops it again. You and Laurance exchange a glance and get into the boat as well. Garroth starts the boat again, and you all set sail.

***

Thinking about it, you realize that this entire trip was a waste. The gem wasn't actually from O'Khasis, and nothing good actually came out of the trip. Well, only one good thing, you did discover your fellow bandits are still in prison, and you don't have a tracking gem. You're kind of tempted to ask the others to let you back to O'Khasis, so you can rescue the bandits that helped you, and saved Laurance.

You let your memories wander back to the beginning of your time in Phoenix Drop. You thought Aphmau was an idiot, as described by Zane. You though Garroth was a traitor, and you didn't even know about Laurance. You smile.

"Thinking about me?" Asks Laurance coming from behind you. You jump, how did he know?! Was he a mind reader or something?

"Don't worry, I can't read your mind. It's just your thoughts are so easy to read on your face." He says.

"Well, good for me then" You say.

"I just came to tell you we're nearly back at Phoenix Drop." You could already make out the small dock on the horizon.

"Cool. I need a break from boats."

"Not feeling very talkative right now?"

"Not really." You sigh, thinking of your past.

"Care to talk about it?"

"Nah, I'm really not in the mood." You say, and Laurance nods sadly, and goes back to the cabin.

You've forgotten about one thing, your father.