Chapter 6: A Plan

It's time. You and Garroth plan how to make it convincing that you caught him. You eventually decide on fake unconsciousness. You and Garroth will leave in an hour, Laurance and Aphmau coming after you half an hour later. Laurance sits beside you.

"I'm so scared." You confess, turning to him. "What if they figure us out?"

"Impossible. This is the most masterful plan full of amazingness and made by four of the world's most talented people." Laurance says, joking. You know he's just trying to comfort you, so you say nothing.

"And might I add that one of those four people is the most beautiful person I've ever met." Your eyes widen, he thinks you're beautiful? You blush, and look at your feet.

You sigh, and look up at Laurance again, and he hugs you.

"If you two are quite done, we might want to make some finishing touches to our plan." Aphmau's voice makes you jump. Laurance laughs at the mortified expression on your face.

"Aw, you're so sweet when you're embarrassed." He says, teasing you.

"At least I'm not a tomato right now." You retort. As much as Laurance acts cool, his face is red as well.

"Says the one who can't even look me in the eyes right now." Your head snaps up, and you dramatically stare into his eyes, and he laughs.

Aphmau clears her throat at you, and you quickly look to her, but she's smiling.

"Well, Garroth and I were thinking that you bring Garroth just to the gates, and the guards will take him from there. You'd then quickly cause a commotion in the main hall, and make sure the guards would have to be there too. Laurance will then distract any remaining guards while I steal the releasing gem from his room."

You nod. It's a good plan. In O'Khasis, in the time that Phoenix Drop become known, Zane and his father told you lies they were horrible planners and and a threat to all villages. You foolishly believed them. You never really saw Garroth, as they were both planning his arranged marriage and preparing him to become the lord of the village. You crossed paths once and a while, but not for long.

Even though you had been there since you were four, you and Garroth hadn't spoken more than twenty times. That was part of the reason Zane sent you as the spy. Garroth hadn't spoken to you much, unlike other guards, because since Garroth was from O'Khasis, he'd recognize all of them. The other reason was he knew you enough to trust you. He'd just get a faint memory of someone trustworthy.

You shake your head to clear it. It's time to focus on the task at hand.

***

You and Garroth have been traveling all day towards O'Khasis on a boat, and it's getting dark. Garroth decided he's going to sleep, and he walks down to the cabin on the boat. You can see a small speck on the horizon, which might be Laurance and Aphmau's boat following you. You just hope they don't arrive any closer to you than an hour. You can see O'Khasis's gates in the distance. All of a sudden, your pendant begins to ring.

"Hello?" You say.

"You're not in Phoenix Drop." Zane's voice says accusingly.

"I'm bringing Garroth back to O'Khasis." You say, bluntly.

"Wait, what-" Zane sounds really surprised. He collects himself again though. "It seems I underestimated you, is that your boat in the distance?"

"Might be. I'm not that close yet." You say.

"It is. I can see you." Zane says. "Well, it seems there's nothing else to talk about. I'll see you in about an hour, when you dock."

You look up into O'Khasis's horizon. You suddenly see a small figure on a balcony on one of the buildings. It's Zane. If Garroth comes out anytime soon, Zane will know he's not really in captivity! But you can't leave driving the ship, it's too close to docking time. You decide to call him.

"Garroth!" You say.

"Y/N?" Garroth says, and you hear footsteps.

"Wait, wait! Don't come out. Zane's watching us!" You say quickly.

"Oh, okay. Should I be unconscious now?"

You hesitate. You won't be able to call for Garroth to be unconscious once you reach the docks, the O'Khasis guards would hear you, so this is probably your last chance to talk to him. "Yes."

You hear rustling, and then becomes quiet. You watch the stars become brighter as the moon rises higher in the sky.