Chapter 2: The High Priest

You wince as you get up faster than you intended to. Your leg screams in pain as you limp madly for the entrance. You stumble onto one of Phoenix Drop's many paths. You hear armour clanking as either Garroth or Laurance climbs down the ladder.

The paths of Phoenix Drop are very, very confusing. After wandering around for at least ten minutes, the ache in your leg only getting worse and worse, you find the path that leads towards your home. You scramble inside and slam the door, nearly falling down the stairs, and lie down in your sleeping bag that you've set up until you find a real bed.

You drift off into sleep, awaiting the communication pendant to start ringing, signalling Zane wants your report.

You jerk awake after a couple hours, the pendant vibrating against your chest.

"Hello?" You say, staring into the pendant.

"Hello, Y/N. Have you gathered some information for me?" Zane's voice sounds like it's right beside you, though in reality, he's many miles away.

"Yes." You hesitate, should you give this information? Or should you hold onto it, almost as a bargaining chip. You decide against that. Making deals with the high priest usually doesn't work.

"Well, get on with it." Zane says. "If there's something important going on, I need to know."

"The guards are building a secret entrance at the end of the west wall, beside a small forest. It will be trapped with arrows." You say, not really wanting to.

"Well, well, maybe you do have anyone use, apart from being my wife." You freeze, and begin to tremble in anger, how dare he bring that up again. His threats come back to you, if you don't do at least one of three things before two months are up, you'll become Zane's wife. The three things that you could do are either assassinate Aphmau, kidnap her, or bring Garroth back to O'Khasis.

"I'll never be your wife." You say, fighting to keep your voice down.

"Really." He says mockingly. "Well, I have nothing more to discuss. One of my messengers will be listening to your report tomorrow."

The pendant stops shaking and glowing, and calms down. You decide to take a walk to reduce your anger, even though it's the middle of the night. As you begin to get up, the pain in your leg intensifies, but you grit your teeth and begin climbing up the stairs. Walking it off helps, you decide, as the pain begins to get better.

The stars glow coldly above, as you limp towards the plaza. The fairy lights blink and shut off, as they aren't needed. You sit down, leaning against a small hill.

"Nice night out tonight." A voice startles you. Laurence walks towards you, a friendly smile on his face. "I'm Laurence, as you might know. I'm the second in command guard here in Phoenix Drop. Your name is Y/N, right?"

You nod, the news of your arrival must have traveled fast. You'd give ten diamonds to everyone in the village right now to figure out what they think of you. Laurence sits down beside you, staring at the stars.

"This is all so new," You confess, turning to look at him. "I've never lived in a village before." That was true. After your mom died, and your father left you behind when you camp of bandits was attacked by O'Khasis when they found you camping on their ground, you were brought in by O'Khasis and lived a prisoner. So in reality, you had never actually been a citizen of a village.

"Really?" Laurence asks, turning to you.

"Yes." You turn away, slightly embarrassed.

"It's okay, when I was younger, I lived as an orphan." He says, smiling.

"Wow, guess I'm lucky to have at least one parent. Or maybe none, since he abandoned me..." You trail off, not wanting to give away anything.

Suddenly, Laurence gets up, "I need to go. Midnight patrol. See you later." Laurence walks off, leaving you alone in your thoughts.