Chapter 9

Jakes POV:

"Alright, thanks man. We'll be out of your hair in a few days," I ended the call and turned to Abbey and Riley, "Well, it's alright with Anthony so we can crash with him until we leave."

"Good." Riley said, "now if you don't mind, I'd like you gone before Brad and Tiana come home. They don't need to be stressing out about two run aways."

I rolled my eyes. As pretty as she looked in that skirt and cami, she could be as harsh as the devil.

"So well meet you Saturday?"

"Yeah, at 3:00. And don't be late."

"Why not tomorrow? After school Friday would give us more time."

"I'm with friends." She bluntly replied. I could almost feel Abbey flinch behind me, and I decided it was time to leave. Turning around in the entrance, I slipped on my boots and motioned for Abbey to do the same.

"We will be here at three. See you then." She nodded, and we slipped out the door into the bright day late with passing vehicles.

We began walking in silence, I think both our minds were wandering. That little dig Riley made about her friends probably really hurt Abbey and personally, I was so tired I couldn't wait to get to Anthony's. He lived a few kilometers out, and since we were pretty much out of cash, we were stuck walking. It was now that I wished we would've taken my truck instead, but the bus fare was much cheaper than gas and I thought we would've been returning today. Luckily, while I was talking to Anthony, he agreed to let me borrow his truck. I could use whatever gas he had in it and then I'd have to pay for anything else. He was a year older than me, and we were like brothers when we were together. Unfortunately, that wasn't often except during rodeo season. Because he lived so far away, weekends on the circuit were the only times we really got to hang out.

We continued a few more blocks, our feet crunching underneath the fallen leaves. It was a brisk day, a little chilly for British Columbias September, but I didn't mind the cold. One thing I did mind however, was the city.

Growing up on the ranch, I hardly went into Kelowna. I was homeschooled until grade three, all the while my dad taught me to steer ride, rope, and ride a horse. When I did go into a public school, I absolutely hated it. Being in the city just irked me. I would rather be outside, having class on our old picnic table with my horse tied to a tree a few feet away as my mom taught me about the structure of equines. Being crammed in a class room with prissy kids that wouldn't eat food if it fell on the floor annoyed me. There was to much noise, to much drama, to much everything. We only had 40 minutes for gym class and that wasn't enough to get all of my energy out. In grade one, my dad would have me shoveling horse crap, fixing fences, and practicing barrel racing for gym class. The only game I did like was dodge ball. My aim was so good from all my roping practice, that I could knock out a whole team in less than five minutes if I felt like it.

After school, I would take the bus home with my sisters. They liked school more than me, especially since they had lots of friends there. I had one close one, but his family farm went broke and they moved away at the beginning of junior high.

But just walking down the street at our slow pace made me realize how much I loved being on the ranch. These houses, just measly feet apart, gave you no privacy. The oncoming vehicles and constant sirens and other noise is plain annoying. You also have no wildlife. Ever seen a rabbit in the city? I have once, but his guts were spread all along Main Street.

And the rush. No wonder they're all spending money on vacations. You don't have time to think for yourself. People everywhere. Buildings everywhere. Makes you almost feel claustrophobic. Come out to the ranch for a week. You'll feel so rejuvenated that you'd probably sell your home in the city and end up buying an acreage. To me, life's just better in the country. You can't have a horse in the city, maybe at a stable, but then it's not truly yours if you can't walk outside, go work with him, then go back to your house without getting in a vehicle. At lead that's just my opinion.

Of course, there are people that love the city. And for me, it's hard to believe that there might be kids out there that have never sat in a tractor cab, or drove a vehicle before the age of ten. Or got bucked off of a horse, or had mud fights, or swam in a dug out, or went bridge jumping, or hiked in coulees, or explored new trails, or had close encounters with bears, or went dirt biking, or never tried Doing doughnuts on a quad. Life just seems more fun on the farm, you worry less about the number of likes you get on your Instagram post, and instead truly live life with some good, good memories.

Nothing against all the city folks out there, I mean they're people too, and I have a few pretty good friends that live in Kelowna, but I swear living on the farm for awhile would probably change your mind about every stepping foot in a place where there a population over 2 000. Just saying.

By now we had travelled about a kilometer in silence when I decided to break it, "think this will work?"

"I honestly don't know anymore. I mean, she's practically turned back into the real Riley again. Remember how she was so bubbly when she first woke up? Now she's back to being the grump again."

I laughed, "Yeah, but maybe this will change her mind. I mean she agreed to the deal and all."

"Knowing her she'll probably get out of it somehow."

"Argh, I hope not. We've gotten in enough crap already. We need her to come back home or else Hanna will probably be so pissed at us."

"And not to mention your mom," she grinned.

"Ugh, she'll skin me and then use me as a flag when I get home, but it will be worth it."

She chuckled and I smiled, too.

"Hey, doesn't your dad live out here?" I asked. I remember her saying something about Vancouver and him having a house here. I watcher her smile fade as she registered my question.

"Well he should be out of rehab by now, so he'd probably be back hom- at the house."

"Don't you mean mansion?" I scoffed teasingly. It was no secret that she had a wealthy past.

"Sure, we'll call it a mansion. But yeah, it's down Kyle Lane."

I pulled out my phone and went on to google. I a few minutes later, I looked at her straight in the eye and asked, "Do you want to go there?"

Her face showed pure confusion, delight, and fear.

"I- I don't know, why?"

"It's five kilometers away, and three kilometres away from Anthony's. We could actually shave off some time by going that way. We could just walk by. You know, if we're re-living Riley's past, maybe now would be a good time for yours, too."

Now she looked almost disgusted by the idea. Maybe I was to blunt about it. I probably came on to strong and freaked her out. We only had a few conversations about her dad and mom, and they were pretty brief and awkward. She had mentioned that one day she wanted to see her old house again, and I guess I just sprang at the idea.

"Well, if it's on the way to Anthony's, then we might as well walk by.