Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

Abbeys POV:

The floor was still sparkling. The entrance still gleamed. The house still smelled like vanilla lilac, a scent I was never fond of.

I took in the sights before me, the vast foyer was tiled in white marble flooring, and was furnished with black, red, and gold furniture.

A gold table with flowers was below a black framed mirror. There was a large black leather couch against the wall and opposing that we're grand doors leading to a closet. From there you entered into a great common area.

It was furnished with a large black shag rug. On top was another gold coffee table. Four black arm chairs stood silently opposing each other, as if waiting for a face-off.

Directly off to the left was the kitchen. Marble floors. Marble counters. Black cabinets. Huge island. Built in fridge, and dishwasher.

Pointless novelties.

Had you walked though the common area, you'd be overwhelmed by the wrap around staircase that led to the second and third levels.

But over to the left was a series of hallways leading to rooms that we never did use. Except for one which was my bedroom.

"Well Miss, a few changes," Carl pointed out. Mostly it was just the new furnish. Before everything was blue, white, and tan.

"Yeah, it's kinda weird. And my dad did all of this?"

"Well no actually." Carl told me nervously. "But maybe your father should explain everything."

"Does he have a girlfriend?" I asked. I wouldn't be surprised. If he was clean from drugs, then he would definitely be dating material. He was young(ish), rich, and a good looking man.

I mean I had to get my looks from somewhere, right?

I wandered in the entrance a bit further until a picture caught my eye.

"He remaried!?"

Carl looked uncomfortable. He shuffled his dirt covered shoes around and took two steps forward.

"Yeah, three months ago. Her name is Lyndsey."

"Does she know about me?"

"To be honest, I'm not sure. I suggested that he invite you to the wedding, but you were in a foster home and he wasn't sure how that would complicate things."

"So he's been clean for awhile then?"

"A year and a half. Lyndsey's friend was in the same rehab as him and she visited often. They connected somehow and she ended up helping him through some of his lows. They only dated for a few months. I was surprised at how fast he proposed, actually."

I slowly took it all in. 18 months and my dad hadn't even tried to find me. Instead he got married and his wife probably doesn't know I exist. I have no idea where my mom is and I don't even know what my dad is like anymore.

"Let's get you something to drink and you can sit down, Abbey."

We followed Carl into the kitchen and I sat at a black barstool against the white island. Carl poured us some hot chocolate, the whole time Jake stood uneasily by my side.

"So where's Lyndsey now?" I asked after an awkward pause and a long sip.

"Country club for their annual committee meeting. She's on the board. "

"When will she be back?"

He shrugged and told me around five. I had two hours.

"So has my dad ever asked about me or tried to find me?" I asked after a sip. I don't think I had much emotion left in my voice. Honestly I wouldn't even care what the answer was. To me, he pretty much means nothing now.