VI

Naruto ran blindly through dark alleys, through people, through traffic, through anything to get as far away from the two dangerous looking men behind him. They were doing a good job at keeping up, unfortunately for him. Realizing he was nearing out of breath, he began throwing whatever he could find on his way: trash cans, recycling bins and the like to slow them down. Fortunately for him, it worked.

Once able to catch his breath, Naruto wiped the sweat off his forehead and looked around, making sure he was hidden well from the lights adorning the wealthier part of downtown Konoha where he'd ended up. Shiny, seemingly new cars were parked at the entrances to pricey hotels, camera flashes directed towards famous or well-known individuals walking out from their shiny crystal doors to the sleek black cars waiting for them. Many people walked around wearing clothing Naruto knew he'd definitely never be able to afford even if he saved his pay from months ago; it was all astonishing to him, more so because he'd never in his life been to this extravagant part of the city.

"You there, I told you no lazying around! Carry those bags and get them into the car before the press finds a way to block my path," A woman ordered, making the blond jump in place from the sudden surprise. She was walking out of the expensive looking store Naruto chose to hide by. She looked elegant, dressed in all black with diamond accents around the collar of her well-fitted dress. She had heels at her feet as elegant as her entire demeanor and her orange-blonde hair framed her almost flawless complexion. A man walked up to her, taking most of the boxes and rushing towards a car parked a few steps away. "Well?" The woman asked, looking towards Naruto. "What are you waiting for? We don't have all day!"

Naruto blinked, thinking she must've confused him with one of her employees. "Uh, ma'am, I'm not—"

"Quickly or we'll be late!" She ordered, handing the rest of her boxes towards Naruto and rushing to get inside the car while the other man from before now stood to hold the door open. Unable to refuse, Naruto went along and placed the boxes in the trunk of the car, looking around to see if any of the two menacing men from earlier were anywhere nearby. "Get in, Sakura's already waiting for me, I'll be damned if she starts another one of her fits just because I'm late." Naruto followed her orders, albeit a little guilty for not telling her who he was. He sat up front, going along with her and making light conversation with her as she initiated small talk while the driver took an unfamiliar road towards the woods. She mostly talked about her busy day, asking the blond to remind her of his name because she thought he was a new employee and hadn't learned his name yet. As this went on, the driver eyed Naruto suspiciously, knowing the misunderstanding and nodded to himself. He smiled a bit and continued driving.

Once at their destination, Naruto was awed.

So, this must be the palace.

"Hurry up, Genma!"She called out to the driver, who helped her by opening the door for her and carrying most of the shopping bags. Naruto was made to help as well, Genma told him he could help with the boxes.

"If she finds out, she'll freak, dude." He chuckled, looking back towards Naruto.

"I couldn't say no, she just ordered me and for some reason, I couldn't tell her I wasn't one of her employees." Naruto shyly explained, adding a light-hearted chuckle.

"Yeah, well, just stay close to me, you'll be fine. After this, I can drive you home. I'll tell her you disappeared or something."

"Thanks." Naruto didn't tell him that men were after him and simply followed.

"Mom!" A beautiful girl with lime green eyes and pink hair threw her hands up when she looked up from her phone. "Are you kidding me? You're almost late!"

"Oh, don't fret, Sakura. The Prince deserves all the shopping I do, he's going to love his presents!" The lady walked past Sakura, ordering Genma and Naruto to leave the fancy bags and boxes on the table where more presents were placed.

"This is so embarrassing, mom! Ino's parents were killing me!"

"Oh! The Yamanaka's, where are they? Oh— Naruto, Genma!"

"Yes, my Lady?" Genma asked, helping Naruto set the boxes on the table.

"Feel free to wander around, but don't cause any trouble. Don't drink, especially you, Genma!" The lady and her daughter began walking away, Sakura looking back and asking who the blond was.

"Well, how about that?" Genma smiled. "I get the feeling you've never been close to the palace, let alone inside it."

Naruto thought back to the scary men and decided the more time he spent here, the better. They'll get tired of waiting for him and leave if they hadn't given up already. 

"Genma, is that you?" Someone asked from behind. Even though they didn't call his name—not that anyone would know it since he was, after all, a complete stranger here— Naruto turned around and stared at the dark eyes of a very light-skinned boy. He had a feeling, but Naruto wasn't all too sure that this was the prince that Kiba had described earlier in the day.

"Hm? Sasuke!" Genma took the boy in a hug, "Kid, I haven't seen you in months!"

"You haven't changed at all," Sasuke replied with a smile as he embraced the older man, his eyes glued on Naruto as he got the feeling he'd seen him somewhere.

Seeing the obvious interest both boys had in each other, Genma took a step back and decided to introduce them since neither of the younger boys spoke a word. "Sasuke, this is Naruto," He said, and to this, Sasuke nodded with a growing smile. "And Naruto, this here is the birthday boy, Prince Uchiha Sasuke."