VII

Naruto was startled and at a loss for words as he gazed into the curious dark eyes of the Prince. He didn't notice his mouth opening and closing in attempts to say something, making himself think he might be looking stupid but to his luck, the Prince hadn't noticed as he was too, lost in the pools of blue staring into his soul.

"Genma, get over here, you son of a bitch! We've been looking for you!" Someone called Genma over—a couple of men who also worked as drivers for the stuck-up leaders of the clans. They had all gathered into a corner near the food and away from everyone else.

"If you'll excuse me, Sasuke," Genma gave the still boy a side-hug, chuckling when there was little to no response from the kid. "Naruto, I'll be right back, okay bud?" Receiving a slight nod, Genma jogged off to greet his friends.

"N-Naruto, is it?" Sasuke asked, trying to make conversation now that they were alone.

"Uh, ye-yeah," Naruto gulped, raising a hand to scratch behind his head. Realizing he was then speaking to royalty, the boy straightened his stance and bowed. "I-I mean, yes, Your Highness!" 

"No, please, just call me Sasuke," The Uchiha laughed sheepily. "Are you here with anyone?" He asked, receiving a shy smile and a shake of the head. "Perfect! I mean, you wouldn't, by any chance, want to... Wait, were you out today? I could've sworn I saw you but I don't think I saw your face. I think you were with two others?" Sasuke recalled earlier, unable to finish his previous question.

"Yeah, we were... out."

The two shared an awkward silence. None knew what else to say mainly because Naruto was admiring the Prince's beauty and Sasuke was as well. Naruto had never seen someone as beautiful as Sasuke, one who sported fine clothes and porcelain skin with the most beautiful set of dark eyes—eyes darker than Shikamaru's even. The dark hair framing Sasuke's face was lovely in of itself as well, shining radiantly with all the lights adorning the inside of the palace.

Sasuke, too, was engrossed in the boy in front of him. Words could not describe what he was seeing nor what he was feeling at the moment. Those orbs of blue were pulling him into a trance with their impressive hues. And his hair—all a golden tone made up of different shades. Naruto didn't look well-dressed like the others around them were, but that only made Sasuke curious to know more about him. This was all strangely new to Sasuke since he's never had a feeling like this. This was the first time he's ever looked at somebody and was truly at a loss for words.

"I'm sorry, where are my manners? Would you like to...?" Sasuke struggled to complete the sentence, so instead, he pointed towards one of the many tables. "There's food over there and I'm kinda hungry... I guess," He lied. "Would you sit with me?"

"Sure," Naruto responded, letting Sasuke lead the way to a table in the center of the huge ballroom.

"Oh, Sasuke dear!" The lady Naruto had helped came rushing towards him as Sasuke pulled his seat out. "Oh, how long has it been, you've grown so much!"

"Lady Haruno, it's only been a few weeks," Sasuke smiled cheekily as the lady pinched his cheeks, embarrassed as he could see Naruto hiding a smile.

"It's still a long time, dear, you don't come over as often anymore," She smiled a caring smile as she caressed the boy's cheek. "Oh, you. Why are you here? You should be over there with the employees, not sitting by the Prince, dear," It had sounded rude, but Naruto was happy she didn't say it any more harshly. He hadn't meant to stereotype her, but he assumed by all the luxury around him that no one would take kindly to a mere kid off the street.

"Its fine, Lady Haruno, I've invited him over," Sasuke interjected, taking the woman's hands and patting them to give her a comforting smile.

"Well, okay then... I'll leave you two; Lady Hinata and my little Sakura are waiting for me," She giggled, and bowed before retiring herself from their space.

"You work for her?" Sasuke asked, pulling Naruto's chair out as a gesture he recalled Itachi saying he had to do to whoever was worthy enough of his attention.

Naruto sheepishly smiled. "Actually..."