VIII

"So they just... ran after you?" Sasuke asked and Naruto nodded, unable to keep his eyes off the table as the caterers placed several plates of fancy looking food before him, alongside many forks, spoons, and knives. Once they left, the two couldn't help but indulge in the food, Sasuke choosing to not pay too much attention to the blond's eating habits and instead, found it endearing as to how the boy stuck to the same spoon and fork all throughout.

It was awkward, but they both seemed to be having fun otherwise.

"Sasuke!" Sakura, as Naruto recalled, walked up along with two of her friends. She had changed from the clothes she wore earlier— now donning a white dress and her hair done in a fancy updo and adorned with small and simple golden accessories. Behind her stood a beautiful girl who looked stunning in a red kimono, her long, dark hair done in a low bun with white beads and little red hair adornments. The girl on Sakura's left was pretty, too: long, platinum-blonde hair styled into a low ponytail with a small braid here and there. She wore a black dress that made her appear paler than she already was and, Naruto noticed, her eyes were almost a prettier, much clearer shade of blue like his. She seemed to eye him curiously.

"Sakura, you look great!" Sasuke rose from his seat, taking the girls hand and placing a kiss on it, doing the same to the two other girls. "Ino, Hinata, long time no see. Wow, you guys look stunning."

"I look great and they look stunning?" Sakura asked with a smile and a raised eyebrow. "You're so hard to please, Sasuke." She added, then directed her gaze to the other boy behind the Prince. "Who's... that?" She noticed his clothes were a little... cheap.

"He looks familiar," The blonde, Ino, added. "Are you here with someone?" To said question, Sakura scoffed but no one seemed to notice it.

"This is Naruto!" Sasuke presented him with excitement, wanting the girls to share the same feeling and to welcome him just like he did. 

What he got instead was three pairs of confused eyes.

"You're kidding, right?" Sakura asked, looking at Naruto up and down before scoffing once again. "Sasuke, he's my mother's employee."

"Yeah, I know. But I saw him before and he's really nice," Sasuke explained, his mood slowly changing as he thought the way they looked at his new friend looked intimidating and condescending.

Seeing how Sakura was not impressed, Ino intercepted: "Sasuke, it's not that we don't like him, it's just that he looks..." Ino searched for a word to describe the blond. When no word came to mind—mostly because she thought he looked familiar and didn't want to be rude—she just made a noise in the back of her throat and rolled her eyes. "Let's go, Hinata."

The two girls bowed and left the Prince with Sakura and a now very embarrassed Naruto.

"I'm sorry, don't look so sad. See, we are from the few noble clans left in this village. We're respected and are powerful and rich," Sakura's voice was uncomfortably sweet and patronizing. "Somehow, to be seen around people like you, it just kind of lowers our status, you know?" There was a pitying smile.

However, someone hadn't liked what she was doing and decided to speak up: "Sakura," Sasuke said through gritted teeth.

"My apologies, your Highness, but that's just the way it is." She shrugged. "You should stop being so friendly with him and maybe start paying attention to the clan leaders. They're the ones criticizing you at the moment for sitting next to him and you know the reputation that gives you." Sakura leaned more on her right leg, her hands crossed and even though Naruto felt angry towards her, she still looked pretty.

"I don't care what the clans think of me," Sasuke retorted. "They can deal with it if they don't like it."

"Hm," Sakura chuckled. "That's not going to happen: you're next in line after your brother. The clans will think you wouldn't be fit for the throne if you hang around people like him."

"Saku-"

"Look around you, Sasuke. They're staring." She walked closer and stopped once she was at Sasuke's side and next to his ear. "Why don't I help you? See what being seen with the Haruno Clan can do." She turned to face him, gently placing her hand on his shoulder and leaning in slowly and unsuspecting towards his lips, where she placed a kiss only a few centimeters away from their goal.

A few murmurs were heard from the crowd, even a few cheers. Stunned, Naruto didn't know what to think. It really wasn't his place to be jealous or angry as he had only just met Sasuke, but he did feel awkward standing there.

Sasuke pushed her away. "Get out." He ordered sternly. "I don't like you, get out of my palace."

The girl only smiled, as if Sasuke's demand was but the order of a small, little kid. "Think about it, Sasuke. They've seen us now and its only natural they accept it. Why? Because I'm powerful as well; I hold power," She then pointed to Naruto. "He, on the other hand, is a nobody."

"Get out!" Sasuke shouted, and this time, he got more attention from the surrounding guests.

"Sasuke, you're making quite the scene. What's the problem?" Itachi made himself known as he walked away from a group of clan leaders to attend to his little brother.

"I want her out. She kissed me. I didn't want it, I want her out!" Sasuke grabbed Naruto's hand and led him away from the crowd, leaving Itachi to deal with the issue. They walked out into the balcony and took a much-needed break.

After a few seconds of silence, the raven let out a long sigh and discarded any previous thought. "I'm sorry about that," He apologized.

"It's fine, really," Naruto smiled, feeling uncomfortable—not with the situation, but more embarrassed at himself. Sakura had been right in a way: this was a palace, the royal palace. This was no place for a commoner like him. On that note, he was also confused as to why he'd felt too concerned as to why the kiss had bothered him. He didn't know Sasuke that well and as far as he knew, he wasn't feeling anything in particular towards him, so... why?

"No, it isn't. Naruto, you're my friend now and I'm not going to let anyone treat you like that, understand?" Sasuke stepped forwards, surprising Naruto as he pulled him in for an unexpected hug.

"Uh..." Naruto didn't know what to do aside from giving in and hugging back.

The hug was interrupted as an object flew just inches from Naruto's forehead and crashed into the concrete of the arched window, leaving a deep, small hole.

"Damn it!" He heard. "You're dead this time, kid!"