Drabble #8 - "It's always been you."

Pairing: Stiles/Lydia

Rating: Teen and Up Audiences.

Summary: Stiles and Lydia spend their last night together before they part ways for college.

Tags: Established relationship, Break up, Hurt

Author's note: This work is a chapter for an upcoming fic, which will be revealed in due time.

Dedication: To Rachel, rachel--me on tumblr.

xxx

"It's always been you," he murmurs, his thumb brushing her arm softly and tugging her slightly closer to him. "Like, right from the very beginning, it's always been you. I can't really tell why but ever since we argued by the swings on third grade, I just... I just knew." He cups her cheek with his free hand. "Do you remember that?"

Lydia chuckles sadly, looking up at him. "Yes. You wanted to go again and I-"

"Started reciting every rule there was for recess," he finishes for her. "I was so surprised that you knew all of them that before I knew it, you were already on my swing. All I could do was watch in amazement."

"You were such a hyperactive little brat, always getting into trouble with Scott," she smiles, revisiting the memories.

"Like you were any better," he mocks. "You just knew how to talk your way out of it. My smart little banshee," he says fondly.

It breaks her heart that they're in this position. This was a conversation they were never supposed to have, not under these circumstances anyway. She leans in and kisses him, taking her time because she knows she won't get the chance to do it often anymore.

He delves into it too.

"Stiles-" she whispers, already knowing the answer.

"No. We have everything set. We're doing this, Lyds," he says calmly, trying not to let his emotions show on his features.

"But-"

Stiles slowly places a strawberry blonde curl behind her ear. God, he's gonna miss her so much. "No. We've talked about this. Th- There's no going back now," he stutters, holding back a sob.

Her lower lip trembles and her breath hitches. "Can I... Stiles, I- I have to cry. I can't... I know we promised but I..." A tear falls down her cheek and Stiles doesn't wipe it away. He knows she needs this.

He does too. "It's okay," he complies, giving her a sad smile of his own.

They're cuddled up on his bed after a whole day of just staying together, the imminence of their separation dawning on them in a damaging, breathtaking way. It's their last night together after all.

He's not sure how long she cries against his chest but he lets her, shedding a few tears as well. "Stiles-" she pleads, throat raw and aching with sorrow for what is yet to come. For what is to become of her and him, but not them. "Stiles, please. Please reconsider."

He kisses her this time, intently and passionately the same way he's been kissing her for the six months they've been together, deepening the kiss as soon as Lydia moves to straddle him, her hands cupping his jaw and pulling him closer. He tastes the tears on her lips mixed with their regrets and all their sorrows, the time they won't get to have in the future weighing him down. He can't let her win.

He breaks the kiss. "No. Lydia, I can't. You're doing this. You're leaving and you're going to get your degree and win a Fields Medal and be successful beyond comparison, okay? And in the meantime I'll stay here, feeling so fucking proud of you that it'll be like I've never left you, alright? It'll be like I'm right beside you, I promise."