Chapter One - Life At The Palace

--The thriving and tumultuous world of Galacia comes into contact with the kindness of a single man who put righteousness above politics and the bravery of a slave who could find true worth once more--

      The young woman named Melody had been out in the vineyards collecting grapes in her woven basket as the palace guards stood and watched.

     The guards never really focused on their jobs, no intruders ever came by Tashil's palace except the prophet. Instead they used this time for their personal enjoyment and pride-boosting hours, to pick on the unfortunate, and lower people of the world - slaves.

     Such was Melody, who was a slave in Galacia and constantly mocked, but she never denied it. Her scorn was so much to herself as it was the others to her. It truly was a worthless and pathetic existence, in her mind.

     She walked around the fine fountains and exotic gardens of the king's yards. From the distance, she heard the constant clamor of vulgar words and hostile scoffing of the palace guards toward her and her unclean body.

     She was forced to listen to it, daily. But she didn't mind it, she mostly agreed with what they had to say, no matter how pathetic or demeaning it was. Most emotion left her. She was inured to the dehumanization of her kind, all slaves. But mainly herself, for at the end of the day when she sleeps, she only has herself, and does nothing but lay there, with her thoughts of the terrible work, slander, and horror that's thrown at her to make the men of the palace happy and comfortable.

     "Hey Melody! Better not slack off! Last slave that was lazy we beat half to death!"

     "Wouldn't want Tashil to come into his beloved gardens to see a bloody slave shoved into the doorway! Not like Tashil would give a damn about a slave girl anyway!"

     The guards said what they pleased, none of it mattered to Melody, so long as she got the job done. She plucked grape by grape, occasionally dropping a few or accidentally splattering some into her torso. The guards laughed and degraded her. They were stopped when they saw man, dressed in all black with buttoned attire and a conductor's cap. Such outfits were likened unto people called Masters in the palace, and they were the top officials in all the land under Tashil. They were his go-to men, his suppliers, his counselors, his intellectuals, they were the ones in second command, yet with Tashil's absolute power and iron rule, second place felt almost like nothing. But they still held authority. The guards turned stiff when seeing him. He walked onto the platform before the doorway with which the guards stood and began scolding them.

     Melody, who was minding her own business, suddenly turned around and recognized the man scolding them. It was Master Virgil.

    "That woman works hard in this castle and all you have to do is make light of her work and treat her despicably?" Virgil told them outright. The guards exchanged glances.

     "But sir, she's just a slave..." one of the guards said.

     "You will do what I say right now," Virgil commanded. The guards did so. Then Virgil bid their leave, and so they went on their way.

     Despite standing up for Melody, she was still dissatisfied, for though Virgil was never one to degrade with words, he was someone Melody would rather stay away from any time she could, but she had no rights as a slave and could never truly escape. For the real evil in Virgil wasn't his words, but his selfish sexual desire, which he'd impose on whoever he wanted since he was given that right by the king to satisfy his needs and exert authority. Out of all the girls Virgil has to choose from, he almost always chooses Melody. He was in love with her, and with her body. She always had fine hair, even for a slave, and her body was naturally attractive to men. She was often harassed by men, but none nearly as much as Master Virgil.