Chapter Three - Awful Things

That morning, before King Tashil's selection, certain guards were taking slaves from their rooms and raping them just outside the doors, because they were bored and could use the thrill.
     Certain slaves talked with one another. Keisha and Shakeisha talked with each other. They sat in the beds next to Melody and were practically the only company she had. Keisha and Shakeisha were sisters who were inseparable. They did everything together. They grew afraid as the soldiers ravaged each of the slave girls who slept in the rooms beside them.

    Melody didn't want to be reviled, yet at the same time she felt no emotion, and less fear than what the other slaves had been feeling.

    There was one slave that Melody had respect for. That was a young woman named Kimberly. She was similar to Melody, she did the work with little complaint, and she was strong-willed. Melody saw it would take a lot to break her. A slave was supposed to be sturdy, tough to break, hard-working, and Kimberly exemplified all of that and then some, which is why she was the only person Melody had a lot of respect for. She slept in the front of the room while Melody, Keisha, and Shakeisha slept in the back corner.

     When the guards still weren't satisfied with the other slave girls' bodies, they finally reached Melody's room. Shakeisha screamed with fear, and Keisha began to sweat. Kim just sat there sharpening her nails against a stone she found. The guards observed the room and looked for a girl who had a deserving body, they found Kimberly who has a very stern, muscular body that'd be strong for sex. They grabbed her by her arms, causing her to drop the stone. They took Kimberly outside and slammed the door. Everyone was silent.

    Melody just stared at the stone on the ground. Aimlessly. Subconsciously, she just stared at it.

     Kimberly began screaming from the other side of the door. There were slams and shouts from both the guards and Kim. Then, there was silence again.

     The guards opened the door and threw Kimberly back inside onto the ground. They sighed with relief to say that they finally satisfied their sexual pleasure, and went on their merry way.

     Kimberly barely got back up onto her knees. She began sobbing uncontrollably and buried her face into her knees against the wall. She was undeniably broken, and lost all sense of strength and humanity. She cried for an eternity in a half hour.

     Shakeisha came up to Kim and held her shoulder. She looked at her face.

     "What'd they do to you?" she asked.

      Kimberly's lips trembled. She paused as more of her hair fell out of place and into her face, and the tears started to dry into her cheeks, and her heart rate stopped beating so rapidly.

     "Awful things......" she replied, ever so softly. Her voiced cracked, she was unimaginably hurt.

      She kept the rest to herself, but everyone in the room understood. They all just continued to stare blankly at the gray walls that enclosed them. Melody didn't say a word. She just stayed silent the whole time. All that went through her mind was to continue on the rest of the day, and just work.

    It came time for selection afterward. Master Chaudbury returned that morning. Master Harrison was selected to travel with Tashil to assist with financial decisions. Several guards were lined up to serve and guard Tashil on his travel to Corbia. Master Virgil had also been in attendance. Many maidens and other masters stood and watched as they knew that Tashil was going to set out soon with such a small party.

    Afterward, when Tashil picked Master Chaudbury and Master Harrison and eight royal guards, he lined up some slaves to choose as well.