Chapter Four - Departure From Galacia

Tashil grabbed a clipboard from one of his servants and read off a roster of slaves, a crusty piece of paper that would be the only document validating most of the slaves there, the only thing that proves they ever existed.

     Tashil selected and named off his slaves.

     "Liz." Tashil called. Liz was the optimistic one who gave everyone their promises of freedom.

     "Yolanda." Yolanda was the same, Liz's best friend basically.

      "Herbert Cortez." One of the few male slaves. He was there by accident but Tashil left him there to do dirty work.

      "Shakeisha." One of the sisters in Melody's room. She was getting separated from her sister for the first time in years.

      "Melody..." Tashil called but faded off and struggle reading something next to Melody's name. It appeared almost to be smudged out. Melody came up before Tashil anyway and the king counter her.

     "Kimberly." Tashil called next. But no one came. He called again. Still no one came. Tashil grew impatient and threatened to beat her. Some slaves pointed out that she wasn't here. Tashil demanded they fetch her, and thus they went back downstairs but returned back up with nothing. Tashil grew annoyed.

     "Kimberly can't come," the slaves explained. "She's been drugged."

    It came as a surprise to everyone. Normally Tashil would've held an investigation, but he was in a rush and so he decided he'd leave it be and just travel with the five he called. Melody wondered about the awful things Kimberly spoke about.

    "Melody...Aladdin?" Tashil muttered while he read the clipboard more clearly. Master Virgil's eyes widened. Melody turned around, confused.

    "Yes?" Melody responded.

     "I'm asking is your name Melody Aladdin?" Tashil asked her. Melody held her hand against her breast.

      "Yes, my name is Melody Aladdin." she answered. Tashil still pondered at the name but then shook his head and continued on his way. Melody was surprised the king wasted time on her. But she waved it off and continued with the party off to Tashil's chariot.

     Tashil entered his chariot and sat comfortably. The front part was carried by horses while the back was carried by the five slaves, which was heavier. All the soldiers rode horses and guarded in front of Tashil's chariot. They were all set and ready, and so Tashil raised his arm and gave the signal, and they rode off on their way.

     They rode down past the streets of Galacia. The townspeople waved and wished luck to the king. None of them knew where the king was going and most only showed him respect because theu feared him, but nonetheless Tashil accepted the glory and smiled down the roads.

    But his smile would soon be overturned once his rival made his unwelcomed return.

   The Prophet Vashti and his followers Wyatt and Izan ambushed the king and his party just as they were approaching the edge of Galacia. Tashil gnashed his teeth and cursed the prophet. He stepped out of the chariot with his dagger. Giving the slaves a break since they could let go of the chariot behind him. Vashti jumped down from the large rock with which he stood to charge Tashil.

    "I warned you Tashil, your kingdom will end soon if you do not repent from your ways," Vashti pestered Tashil.

    "I don't have time for this Vashti," Tashil said angrily.

     Impatiently he swung his dagger in Vashti's direction and insisted he leave.

     Fortunately, that time Vashti was not looking for a fight, only a warning. He told the king that if he left for this meeting, he would never return to his kingdom. Tashil shrugged off Vashti's words and went on their way, exiting Galacia. Vashti shook his head in disappointment and left with his followers.

     Upon exit, yet another person encountered Tashil and his group. Philosopher Mason, who was a respected and intelligent man that even had Tashil's acknowledgement. Mason was traveling toward the lost deserts, which had never been explored before. Just outside the vast desert of Corbia, there's a break and then the desert continues for miles, and no one has explored the other side of that desert. Crazy monks and mysterious maidens always retold rumors of some glorious city called Syracuse, which was said to have existed in the midst of that desert and said to have been the most marvelous city in existence, but there were no records of it, and anyone who traveled there never returned.

     When King Tashil asked Philosopher Mason where he was going, he responded that he was going to the city of Syracuse, and every stared at him as if he had two heads. Tashil urged him not to go, but Mason refused.

     "I have faith that there is a city far beyond that way. Syracuse. I will see it for myself. For I believe a great deal of wise men have gathered there, and I would like to join their assembly," Philosopher Mason expressed his faith, and when the king realized he could not convince him otherwise, he bade him farewell. They parted ways.

     There was a city that existed in between Galacia and Corbia called Chobath. It was a town filled with cedar and palm and balsam wood. They had a culture different than either of the massive nations they bordered, in their foods, their festivals, their dances, holiday, and overall outlook on life. The people there loved to party. Liz, the optimistic slave girl, had heard of the city, and had been wanting to go there all her life. Now the dream was becoming real.

     Tashil never usually took that route to Corbia, but something mysterious in his heart urged him to take that way.