Chapter Five - Entry Into Corbia

As they entered Chobeth, a line of palm trees overlooked them across the main streets of the city, giving Tashil a very kingly welcome. The town cheered and celebrated at almost anything, so their reaction upon seeing a king was ecstatic.

     All unaware that a corrupt king was on his way to a corrupt mission.

    Liz was all too cheerful and amazed by the city. Yolanda and Shakeisha's eyes widened as well. Melody stayed expressionless. None of it seemed to matter or make a difference. The slaves continued walking across the harsh roads with their bare feet and shackles clackling around them as they tried to walk. The heat made the travel extremely heavy.

     The soldiers continued to ride their horses. They conversed with one another about why Tashil had taken the routes he had, accepted a deal with such an untrustworthy banker, and let slaves on this trip to carry his chariot. Many of them were confused by their king's actions, but obeyed anyway.

     "What is Tashil thinking?" asked one soldier.

     "Why on earth would we bring worthless slaves like them with the king to a foreign land?" another asked. Liz heard their words, but then shook her heard and acted as if it were never spoken. Melody heard every word, and bought into every word, and pondered it for herself.

     They passed through Chobath, and they entered into Corbia. Master Chaudbury and Master Harrison rode along their horses as well, but Chaudbury had a very serious expression on his face. They rode through much of the nation that night, passing by markets and merchants all across. Many of them had showing cheekbones and bags under their eyes. They had more of a displeased look than the town prior, for they knew Tashil for what he was.

    Eventually they made it to the palace of King Rosh. Upon entry, Tashil demanded appropriate rooming for him and his company. Rosh, who hated Tashil, gave a disgusted look; however still gave Tashil his request and gave everyone a room in his massive palace, even the slaves had rooms. The soldiers discussed with each other why Rosh would do such kindness for a king he hated. Despite their wonder, they let it go til morning.

     Tashil explained that he would be leaving for the banker's hideout the following morning and expected all the soldiers and slaves to do as they were told. He also demanded the same of Rosh and his men. Despite Rosh's inner hated for Tashil, even still, he accepted his terms oddly without a lot of commotion. The slaves went to their new rooms that night. Liz did a lot of talking that night.

    "How exciting is this everyone??" Liz jumped over her bed. "Look at how good this treatment is? We got to travel along with a king, pass through a festival city, and were even given rooms fit for hosts and maidens at another king's palace! How awesome is this!" She cheered on, and the others understood her words and saw it was good too, and also cheered.

    Liz was able to spread her spirit of good hope and freedom to the slaves even then, and all of them became hopeful.

    Melody didn't buy into it though. She figured that city was only festive out of habit, clueless to what was going on. She understood that they still had forced labor to go as they had that entire day even unto nightfall. She considered the conversation between the soldiers, the unforgiving glances of citizens in Corbia, Vashti's warning, none of it spelled a good time, no matter what Liz told her and the others.

     Even Rosh's actions were suspicious, and she refused to feel happy about them. She felt the other slaves were gullible in believing Liz and only going to realize the cold hard truth later, Liz was only delaying it.

    Liz and Yolanda hugged it out and were actually excited for the next morning. Melody only dreaded it more.

    The next morning came, but before everyone else woke up, secretly, Master Chaudbury woke up and left the palace early that morning to run some errands. A few hours later, the rest of the company woke up while Chaudbury didn't return yet.