Chapter 1: "Problems"

"Alex, come on! We're gonna be late again! Get down here.." I heard my older brother Brandon yelling from downstairs. It had been 2 months since the school year had started, and everyday had been mostly the same. College was nothing better than high school, and I was highly mistaken thinking it might be easier. Trust me, it was only worse.

  I was checking myself in the mirror, when I heard the door crash open. Brandon marched in, stopping in the middle of the room. "Hey,-" He started loudly, but cut himself off when he saw I wasn't even bothering to rush and get ready on time. "Seriously?" He almost rolled his eyes at me. "Dammit Alexa, I thought you were doing something important. School doesn't wait, come on! " He yelled once again.

  "This is important. And don't wait for me, a friend will pick me up." I said quietly, while putting my necklace on, not even bothering to turn around. I knew he was waiting for me this whole time, but why answer when you can have some fun?

"Well that would've been a useful information, don't you think? Now you're making me even more late.." He mumbled while getting out of my room and closing the door behind him.

   I found myself laughing a little from what I accomplished this morning. It was 7 am and I've already managed to make Brandon's face look like a tomato from anger.

The doorbell rang interrupting my thoughts. I knew it was David, the "friend" who was gonna pick me up. I wanted my family out of my personal life, so I never told them who I was seeing. Then again, I wasn't even sure if I was really seeing him or not, dating... However, asking was never a problem for me.

Running down the stairs, I picked up my bag from the floor on the way towards the door. Opening the door, I saw David. Well, of course. "Hey, Al. Ready to go?" He asked, flashing that flirty smile of his. Yes, he was cute, popular, nice, but I don't think I saw him as anything more than a friend. It was true that we went out a few times, kissed, but that didn't mean that we were dating, right?

However, there was a part of me that insisted on me getting a ride to school first, then talk to him. So that's what I did. The 'real talk' can wait.

  "Yep, let's go," I smiled quickly, trying to hide the fact that I was trembling from nervousness.

And being single for a year... It gave me more freedom. It's showed me its benefits, and I wasn't planning on replacing that. At least not any time soon...

~

  Yep, I was right. Freedom was what I felt after my classes were over. After my so called relationship was over. The one I just ended...

Walking out, I saw Liv in the school yard talking to some dude, who by the way was not her boyfriend.

  As soon as she saw me, she walked towards me. "So, did you talk to David?" Liv asked while she was trying to catch up to me. She had been my best friend since the 3rd grade. We went through everything together, and she obviously knew everything there was about my life. My little boring life...

"Yes," I nodded slightly, biting my lip for a second. "And it went awful, if you're wondering. I am a terrible person.." I said, letting out a small sigh.

  "Come on, don't be so harsh on yourself." She teased. "You know David. He's probably making out with someone else by now..." She was an expert on making me feel better. Maybe it was the simple fact that she was always chilled, so it relaxed me even more.

  "Well, maybe... But you weren't there. Gosh, you should've seen his face... I feel so awful, but damn it I knew I shouldn't have lead him on like that..." I whimpered. I hated when I hurt people, it just wasn't me. I mean yea, I got in big fights with my brothers, but that was completely different. I think.