Chapter 11: Reality bites me

Alexa's POV

There was a lot of traffic. A lot of people passing by. But I didn't register any of that. I was in some other world with my mind. My deepest thoughts. The loud traffic noise suddenly made me snap out of it. I mentally shook my head, clearing it, as I saw Tyler walk in the hotel. I hurried to catch up to him, tightly holding my bag that was hanging on my shoulder.

Tyler pushed the heavy old door open, and in just a few seconds I found myself walking in a huge bright lobby. The huge space was filled with people- some doing their job, some relaxing on the big sofa's and some were too busy being rich and snobby. A girl- that looked my age, passed by us, flashing a flirty smile at Tyler. She looked like a barbie doll. Literally. The clothes and the jewelry she had on her probably cost more than my car. She flipped her blonde hair, trying to look cool and casual, while she was giving her best for Tyler to notice her. Yet he didn't. Looking completely serious, he passed by her, not even noticing she was there.

I looked at him, surprised he didn't see that blonde 'million dollar bag'. I couldn't help but let out a small laugh.

" What? " He asked, as he glanced at me, having no clue why I was laughing.

I chuckled once again. "Nothing..." I mumbled, now looking down. After a few seconds, I got myself together. "So, what now? "

Tyler looked at me, yet not stopping. "Well, usually, when you're in a hotel, you get a room." He said sarcastically.

"A room? I thought we were here just for information, about.. You know." I lowered my voice, not wanting to draw attention to myself.

He sighed. "Yes, and that may take longer.."

We got to the other side of the lobby- where the reception was, and Tyler casually leaned on the reception desk. " Hi. I would like to reserve a room.." He looked back at me. " .. For two." He said flashing a smile. I widen my eyes. One room?

" Uh, excuse us for a second.." I mumbled at the receptionist, pulling Tyler's arm. " Have you lost your mind? I'm not staying in the same room with you." I whispered harshly.

He chuckled. "Really? You had sex with me last night.."

I took a deep breath, surprised from what I just hear him say. " I don't care, okay. That was a stupid mistake. And can you not bring it up please?"

"Alex, I need you close to me so I can keep you safe." He said after a few seconds, now looking serious again.

I crossed my arms. " You want to keep me safe? Why? What do you get from all of this Tyler?" I went on. " I doubt you're doing this for no reason."

"Nothing... I get nothing.." He said slightly. ".. I saved your life. Don't you trust me? "

"No. I don't trust you, okay..." I let out a small sigh. " You lied to me Tyler..-" I wanted to say more, but the receptionist cut me off.

"- Um, sorry, should I reserve the room? It our last one left." She added. I looked at Tyler and then turned around, going trough my hair with my fingers.

"Yeah..-" Tyler started talking, as he walked closer to the reception desk. I walked slowly, looking around, while his voice was fading away from the crowd. This whole time, I had the same feeling- like something was about to happen, and it kept stabbing my heart over and over again. I took my phone out, and there were 10 missed calls from Liv and a bunch of texts. I pressed Liv's number, but suddenly, someone took my phone from behind. Turning around, I saw Tyler. Seriously?

I sighed. " Give it back." I muttered.

" No, you can't call anyone." Tyler went on. "I'll make sure they know you're OK." He said, turning my phone off. He put it in his pocket, and looked back at me, showing me the key from the room. " Let's go." Tyler mumbled, turning around, now walking towards the elevator... I hate elevators..

~

It has been about an hour since we got here. The room- the only room left in the hotel, was a presidents apartment. It was huge, and I was lucky there were two beds. How weird would it be if we had to sleep in the same bed? After last night, Tyler looked normal, like nothing happened. Didn't show any awkwardness. Unlike me. But I guess that was normal for him, since he 'rents' a girl per night. I felt a small relief when he got in the shower. I was finally alone for at least 15 minutes.

I threw myself on one of the huge beds, staring at the ceiling. Silence. Suddenly, a knock on the door made me jump a bit. Who could that be? Standing up, I walked towards the door. After that night- when Tyler killed Steven, I haven't talked or contacted anyone. My hands we getting shaky, as I was reaching for the knob. I stopped. I can't do it. I was too scared. Backing away a bit from the door, I heard another loud knock. I was quiet for the next few seconds. " Who is it?" I finally decided to talk.

"Um, it's Liv. Alex open up.." I heard someone murmur from the other side of the door. It was really her. Liv. But how? I still stared at the door, confused, like I've seen a ghost. "Alex, please open up. Hurry.." She said with a weird voice. Like she was scared.

I walked closer, as I twisted the knob, opening the door. " Liv? " I mumbled, looking at her. It was really her.

"Alex..." She said, suddenly hugging me. I instantly hugged back, happy to finally see her.

I pulled away slowly. " Oh my god, Liv.. What are you doing here? " I asked still surprised.

She looked both ways, like she was checking if we were alone. " I'll explain everything. Can we just please get in? " Liv whispered slightly. Suddenly, I realized I was blocking the door. I nodded, as I moved from the door frame. Walking in, Liv looked around the room, but didn't say anything. " Where's Tyler? " She asked after a few seconds, now facing me.

I closed the door behind me, making sure to lock it. " He's taking a shower." I said, instantly feeling a weird feeling in my heart. I cannot believe I just said that. I was never in a situation like this. Tyler wasn't my boyfriend, he was barely my friend. I was stuck living with him for god knows how long, and now I had to say that in front of Liv. Yep, my life was perfect.

"Oh.." Liv went on. " Look, Ali, Jace told me everything. Why didn't you call me when it all happened? I died worrying..." She said.

"Oh trust me Liv, I wanted to call. More than ever. But first, Tyler didn't let me call anyone, and then when I tried, he took my phone away..." I explained. I wanted to tell her everything that happened. Okay, maybe not everything. She doesn't have to know about last night...

Liv opened her mouth to say something, but she got interrupted by Tyler. He walked out of the bathroom, wearing just his pants, and glanced right at us. " I see Jace told you.." He mumbled after a few seconds, now putting on a shirt.

" Yeah, he did.." Liv said awkwardly. I don't blame her. I felt awkward too. But Tyler on the other hand acted like it was normal to walk out naked whenever he wants. " Look, I need to talk to you guys.. A lot happened these few days, and Jace is the only one who knows..." She said with a shaky voice, sounding upset.

" What's going on..? " I asked, frowning, now walking towards her. Liv sat on the bed, covering her face with her hands.

She sighed. " I don't know where to start..."

" Liv, what is going on?" Tyler said with a demanding tone, now walking towards us. I sat on the bed next to Liv, still waiting for her to start talking.

" I saw Derek. Actually, I saw a lot more than I was supposed to..." Liv finally said, as her eyes filled with tears. I felt my heart beat raise when I herd her say his name. He was the reason why all of this was happening. Yet, instead of being angry, I was scared. And I hated it.

" What? When? " I asked instantly, without thinking.

She looked at me, and than glance back at Tyler- who was now sitting on an armchair. " A few days ago. I couldn't tell you because..-" Liv started talking fast, as Tyler interrupted her.

" -What did you see Liv?" He said, once again with a demanding tone. I looked at him, still not knowing what was going on.

" He killed someone. And I saw him do it..." She spilled everything. " Derek knows that it was me. He's after me... " Liv cried, looking down. I felt my heart stop dead in my chest. How was this possible?

I stood up, not knowing what to do. Walking slowly, I went trough my hair with my fingers, feeling my heart beat now raise from fear. Derek was everywhere. Tyler looked upset too. More correctly, shocked.

" Who?... Who did he kill? " He asked after a minute, breaking the tense silence.

" I don't know... I was at the grill that night, waiting for Andrew..-" She said with a shaky voice, as she got interrupted by someone knocking on the door. I was listening to her, while standing with my arms crossed, but the door knock caught all of our attention. I looked at Tyler, hoping he could give me the answer who it was, but he looked like he fell from Mars. He stood up, walking towards the door. Without thinking he turned the door knob, opening the door. Right before he opened the door, I felt my heart stop in my chest. Is it Derek?

Luckily, in front of the door was standing Jace. I slowly exhaled the air, relieved. " Where the hell were you?" I hear Tyler say, angrily. I didn't know he was looking for him.

" It took more than I thought. They know nothing. It was worthless." Jace mumbled, getting in.

I walked slowly towards them, trying to understand what they were talking about. " Who? " I asked, as I felt uncomfortable once again. After everything that happened, I don't think I'll ever be able to trust Tyler.

Jace opened his mouth to say something, but Tyler cut him off. " No one." He went on. " It's not important." Of course they were hiding something. Why did I ever think he could be at least once honest with me?

"So, did you tell them?" Jace asked, braking the weird silence.

Liv let another upset sigh. " Yeah, most of it.." She mumbled, rubbing her arm. I turned to her, still wondering what happened after she got in the grill.

"Can you please continue? I'm getting really freaked out.." I said honestly, sitting down on the soft bed.

Once again, we were all looking at her, waiting for her to continue, as she looked like she didn't know how. " Well, I was waiting for Andrew...and I saw Derek on one of the bar chairs." She went on, taking a deep breath. "He was talking to some other dude. Quickly they both stood up, walking towards the door. Derek looked angry and that's what made me follow them. I wanted to know what was going on..." Liv cried, explaining. I frowned, trying to connect all the things she was saying.

"And he killed him?" Tyler asked, anxiously.

I rolled my eyes at him. That couldn't be it. Or was it? I looked back at Liv, unsure. "Did he? "

"No... Yes.. Ugh, it's complicated.." She said, holding her head. " H-he didn't kill the guy who was with him. He killed someone else... I think someone who was bigger and more powerful than him...The guy didn't look scared. He didn't see it coming." Liv added.

I sighed, as I stood up. " This is crazy.. Why the hell is everyone acting like this is normal?! You witnessed a murder! Can't we just call the police? " I let everything out. This whole time, there was something bugging me. And that was it. I needed to feel secure, and the only way I could feel safe was if I called the police.

Tyler and Jace both stood up at the same time, like someone poured a hot water on them. " If you call the police we're all going down.." Jace said, his voice sounding upset.

" You can't call the police, Alexa. They'll question you too." Tyler added, loudly. I covered my face with my hands. I can't take this anymore. I sat down, thinking. He was right. If I called the police, they would question me why I didn't report a murder. I was witness too. And Tyler was the one who did it.

" Then what the hell is the solution?! Cause I'm not like you! I cannot run my whole life. Non of us should!" I yelled. I felt like everything was happening so fast, and my hands were tied. I couldn't do anything, and it was killing me.

" Look Alex, if it was just me, this whole thing would've been done by now! But if I face Derek, all of you will! So it's not an option." Tyler barked back. "I cannot risk your life again!" He yelled, as he sat down, taking a hold of his head. I felt a tear run down my cheek. How could this be happening? Tyler's words made my heart beat raise suddenly. Silence filled the room once again. Liv and Jace were quiet this whole time. We all knew what was going on. There was no solution, and there was no going back.

"Will he find us here? " Liv asked, breaking the tense silence. I looked at Tyler, waiting for an answer. We all thought it, but Liv said it.

Tyler took a deep breath, as he glance at me, than back at Liv. " Probably not. No one would think we're stupid enough to hide in a public place."

I had the same feeling as before. I knew something was gonna happen. I felt like my heart was being stabbed hundreds of times in a second. We all just sat there, thinking for a solution, but I'm afraid there wasn't one. The number of questions in my head was just getting bigger, and now, I felt hopeless for answers. What if there aren't answers? What if this is my new life?

~

Every hour, once again felt like a whole year. I asked Tyler a few times if I could be in a room with Liv, but his answer was simple. No. Apparently, it was too dangerous for us to be alone in a room, so I was stuck in the room with him. We shared a room twice before, but today wasn't the same. He was different. Worried I guess. Even if he wasn't showing it, I knew he was nervous. That made me even more scared. There was guy out there, who was doing his best to find me and kill me. Not just me, all of us. The nightmare was just starting, and I have the feeling it's going to be a long one.

Tyler came rushing in the room. I was laying on my bed, thinking. Even though my back was turned at him, I knew he was searching the room with his eyes, looking for me. Why was he trying to protect me? I still didn't get why he saved me and why he took me with him. I turned around, watching him walk towards the bed. He looked serious. Dead serious. I jerked myself up, in a sitting position, and since we barely talked this whole day, I wanted to ask him the main question that was in my head. The one I had no possible options or answers for.

"Why are you doing this Tyler?... Why are you protecting me? " I suddenly asked, as I stood up, making him glance right at me. Was there another way of asking that? He looked at me like he didn't have the answer either. Standing up, he walked towards me. I stood there in silence, waiting for him to start saying something. Anything.

"I don't know." He muttered. " Trust me, I ask myself the same question over and over again, but I can't seem to find the answer." Tyler said, now a feet away from me. My heart was beating faster, and I didn't know why. Was I scared, happy, or confused by his words?
I looked down, not knowing what to say. I didn't feel awkward around him anymore. Not at all. I felt safe, yet scared. Something that I could never explain. None of this was explainable, but my feelings were mixed. More than ever. And I know part of this is my fault.