Chapter 28: Who's it gonna be?

I stood frozen to my spot, having no idea what to do, but something inside me was telling me to run. I remembered the last time I saw Derek. I ran for my life until Tyler was shot, at the same time Jace was stabbed. It's like I could hear the gun shot in my head just looking at him. My heart thumped a loud beat against my chest until I finally decided to move away so he wouldn't see me. Does dad know about this? Was the first thing I thought when I rushed down the lobby.

Tonight was the grand ball. The biggest celebration of the year. I knew that Derek was in the similar business as my dad, but never have I thought that he might be here tonight. After the accident my father had promised me that the mafia business was long over. That he was done with that. But was it possible that it was all a lie? He said that he paid the money he owned to Derek, but there were big chances that he lied about that too. My whole life he'd been lying to me, never even bothering to tell me the fact that he was part of a mafia. Until I almost got killed because of his debt. Until I found out myself.

All kinds of thoughts went trough my head, but at least I was now out of sight. However, I still had no idea what to do. Should I tell my father? Walking down one of the hallways, I felt slightly dizzy as the hall started spinning. I stopped, closing my eyes for a second, before I leaned on the closest wall. I felt all kinds of nauseous. I knew I had to tell someone. I couldn't keep it for myself.

Starting to feel a little better, I saw someone walking down the hallway, towards me, but I couldn't quite see who it was, since my sight was still slightly blurry. "Alex?" I heard a familiar voice. It was Tyler, and I recognized him as he was getting closer. He almost ran towards me. "Hey, what's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked almost in a hurry, as he gripped my arm tightly.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said, taking a step forward. I was feeling a lot better, but he still looked worried. "Really, I'm fine." I mumbled, assuring him to let go of my hand, but it didn't have any effect on him. He kept scanning me intently, trying to figure me out. But even thought my sight was back to normal, as soon as I started walking, I felt my legs shaking. Like I couldn't hold myself standing.

I was starting to loose balance, but I felt Tyler's grip getting tighter and before I knew it, his hand moved to my legs and he swung me in his arms. I felt myself relax in his embrace, as I put my arms around his neck and leaned my head on his chest. His touch, his smell, made me close my eyes, feeling calmed and safe. I knew I was safe. "What happened?" He whispered, walking faster towards a door. I tried telling him, but nothing came out. Somehow I felt exhausted just by the thought of him.

I felt him pushing the door open and we were now in a room. It was similar to mine, but I knew we didn't take the elevator or the stairs. Did we? Tyler placed me down on a bed, and sat down next to me. "Where are we?" I asked, almost breathlessly.

"Jace's room. It was the closest one." He stated, making me chuckle. There was really nothing funny, but I liked how he was so worried about me. He even broke into Jace's room. But it's like he relaxed physically when he saw me smile. "Hey, don't laugh Alex. You scared the fuck out of me." Tyler said as a grin was slightly formed on his lips.

"Sorry, I just," I mumbled, getting serious. "I don't know. I suddenly felt dizzy." I noticed he was rubbing my leg up and down with his hand this whole time, but surprisingly, it helped me calm down. I looked down at my hands, thinking if I should tell him about Derek. What if he already knew?

I was starting to get lost in my thought when I felt him lifting my chin so I'd look at him. "Alex, what's going on? What happened out there?" He asked quietly. I took in a deep breath, preparing myself. I knew it wasn't going to be easy telling him, but at the same time, it won't be easy for him hearing it.

I bit my lip, trying to make out a smile so he wouldn't be so worried as I took his hand that was caressing my cheek and intertwined our fingers together. His touch was always warm and calming. Almost making me forget what I wanted to say. "Tyler," I started, letting out a slight breath to keep myself together. He was listening to me so intently, so seriously, like there was nothing more important in this world. "I saw Derek in the lobby. He was checking in." The words tumbled out of my mouth. It took Tyler a few seconds to register my words, before his eyes widened as his grip loosen up.

I watched his expression change from confused to worried. He frowned looking at me intently. "Are you serious? A-are you sure it was him?" He asked, slightly panicked.

"I'm sure." I almost cut him off, nodding my head, but I sounded a lot louder than I intended. "I could never forget his face." My voice was fading away as the memories started coming back to me. I felt him letting go of my hand and running it trough his hair and down his face. He looked frustrated, scared. "Tyler, I need to get out of here." I said without explaining the fact that I didn't trust my father after everything he did.

"I know." Tyler said simply, without even thinking. "God, I know." He repeated, leaning his elbows on his knees and covering his face with both hands.

I didn't even realize that I had started playing with my now cold fingers and biting my lips. I was nervous. I didn't know what to do. "I don't know if my father knows about this or not, but I don't trust him Tyler." I finally spoke as my voice was getting all emotional and shaky. Tyler turned to me, taking in a deep breath as he moved closet.

"He didn't. If I didn't know about this, neither did he." He was certain. Like he was sure in his words. "Alex, I promised myself that I will keep you safe. I'll protect you with my life." Tyler said with a raspy voice, covering my hands with his. "I won't let him hurt you."

I felt a tear escape. No one had ever said these words to me. No one had ever made me feel this way. And I trusted him, cause I've seen him do it before. I knew that I would do the same for him, without hesitation. "God, I love you," The words came out on their own as I leaned into him, feeling his arms tightening around my back.

He kissed the top of my head gently, making circular moves on my back. "I love you, Alexa. I promise you," He stopped, slightly pulling away and looking into my eyes. "I promise this will be over soon. I won't let them take you away from me." He said the same thing as last night. When my father was having 'the talk' with both of us, Tyler told him the exact same thing. And both times he sounded so sure in his words. But everything that he said made me feel like it might be the last time I talk to him this way. The last time I hold him. It was like a trigger, making the tears stream down my face. I wasn't confused anymore. I just didn't want to let him go. I couldn't let him go. "Shh," Tyler mumbled, pulling me back into his chest and caressing my hair.

For the next minute it was quiet. We stayed in each others arms peacefully, until he decided to speak again. "Tonight, at the ceremony, I'll help you escape." He almost whispered, but I heard him clearly. He pulled away, finding my eyes with his and staring at me like no one else did. "After dinner, I'll have Max take you and Liv. You can't tell your father, Alexa."

I felt my heart skip a beat nervously. Just me and Liv? I frowned in confusion. "No, Tyler. I'm not leaving without you." I spoke as soon as I found my husky voice. "It's not an option." I added when I saw him opening his mouth to find an excuse.

"Alex, I'll be right after you. I need to deal with something first." My breaths started coming out sharp and shaky. I knew very well what Tyler was capable off. He killed that guy a few months ago without even blinking. But Derek scared me more. I couldn't leave without Tyler.

"If you're staying, so am I, Tyler. And don't find excuses. You have nothing to deal with here." I almost yelled, but I was too shaken up that my voice came out weak and faded.

He took my hand and lifted it to his lips, leaving a long butterfly kiss on my palm. "I'll be right behind you. Just in a different car." He added, but that didn't satisfy me. I shook my head looking down, but before I could say anything, he spoke again. "Hey, look at me." Tyler said quietly as I lifted my gaze up, meeting his beautiful nut-brown eyes. "I promise you." I wanted to believe him. I did. But after all of those broken promises trough these year, I didn't find the strength to.

"Tyler, I'm not gonna loose you," I wanted to add 'like that', but I couldn't. I choked on my words.

"You're not. Baby, you won't loose me. Ever." He said right away, before slowly pulling me into a deep kiss. Like we were both letting our emotions out. Like we were kissing for the last time.

~

I bit my bottom lip nervously, having the feeling that it might start bleeding soon. I couldn't do this. I had to go trough dinner first, and then pull off everything that Tyler told me. How was I supposed to act so natural trough all of this? The elevator door opened, and I felt Liv wrapping her arm around mine. I knew she felt the same way.

"Ready?" She asked, glancing back at me. I tried offering a smile, but nothing.

Nodding my head, I sighed. "Ready." No! I'm not ready! I would never be ready for something like this. We were supposed to go trough the ceremony for the next hour, completely ignoring Derek. Like we never saw him in our lives. Right after that is the dinner, which I assume will be easier to get trough, and since Tyler and Jace got back up, Max was supposed to take me and Liv away from the hotel as soon as possible, while Trevor would stay with them.

Tyler thought that Trevor would be useless and that him and Jace were enough, for god knows what, but Jace convinced him that a bigger number would hurt. Yes, they still refused to tell us what they were planning on doing after all of this was over, but I could assume it will include brutality, from both sides. As for now, Liv and I were heading towards the dinner hall. We were both dressed very elegant, but I was glad I already picked what I was gonna wear even before we got here, cause I wouldn't have been able to do that in this kind of situation.

I was dressed in an sky blue dress, almost white, covering my legs till my ankles. My hair was curled in slight waves and was falling down my bare back. As for shoes, I was wearing 6 inch silver heel sandals, going along with my handbag and my necklace. Liv did my make up, so even if t was a little to much, I knew it was perfect cause she was almost an expert. And Liv on the other hand was wearing a silk black dress that was falling just above her knees on the front and almost dragging in the back. Her hair was curled and falling only down her right shoulder and her shoes were very similar to mine.

But our appearance didn't matter tonight. We could be wearing clothes worth 1 million dollars and if Derek had decided, he would still kill us. However, the guys were acting really protective before and I had faith in them. Even though I knew that Derek wouldn't spare their lives either, I knew that they were at least a bigger number. Tyler was equal to Derek. He could take him. But of course, we weren't even sure if Derek was alone. Any of these people here tonight could be working for him.

I sighed as we walked in the dinner hall. It was huge. A real ball hall. Just like the rest of the hotel, the walls were the most beautiful shade of golden; not to strong, not to fade. The starters were on a large table set next to the wall, while the dinner table was on the other side of the hall, still not served. The rest of the room was filled with people, some dancing, some talking. Just like the balls in the 1800's that we watch on the movies. Just here, everything was a lot more modern.

Liv and I walked next to the table where the starters were served, yet we both couldn't even look at the food. We were to nervous to eat. My eyes were constantly searching the room for Derek, but he was no where to be found. What if he left? No, that's not possible. If he's here for us, he won't leave until he get's what he wants.

"I'll go get us a drink." Liv mumbled, looking incredibly distracted as she started taking a step forwards, but I stopped her, by gripping her arm.

"We don't need a drink right now. Just stay here." I said, trying to keep calmed, but the best thing was if we just stayed together.

She rolled her eyes. "Relax, Alex. He's not even here. Besides, you can see the bar from here." She gestured with her hand towards the bar that was right outside the hall.

I took in a deep breath. I was just being paranoid. Nothing can happen with so many people around. I nodded my head. "Okay, but don't take too long." I said, letting go of her arm. She smiled at me in response and made her way across the hallway, starting to get lost in the crowd. I watched her walk away, standing on my tiptoes so I wouldn't lose her form my sight, but it was already to late.

I tried breathing rhythmically to keep myself together, but I knew there was something wrong about this whole thing. I talked to my father a few times today, and not once I mentioned him the 'plan' we had for tonight. But I trusted Tyler, and since he said it would be alright, then it'll be alright. I kept myself busy for a minute by watching the couples dancing, following the beautiful melody that the classical band was making.

My arms were crossed on my chest, but they instantly fell as I saw someone very familiar in the crowd. Derek. My heart thumped harshly against my chest, but before I even blinked, he was gone. There was no one there. I leaned on the table, realizing that my breaths were getting faster and faster. I looked at the entrance of the ballroom, but didn't see Jace or Trevor there. I was sure they were there before, but now, except for the people that were walking in and out there was no one there.

I felt myself getting nervous, just like this morning. Something didn't feel right. "Good evening, Miss Morgan." My heart stopped dead in my chest. No, no, no. This can't be. Not him. I almost jumped in fear from the deep voice that came from my left side, instantly turning around. It was him. Standing only a few feet away from me. I couldn't ignore him now.

A smirk was formed on his face as he noticed my fear. "Tell me, why is such a beautiful young woman like you missing all the fun by staying here alone?" His voice was getting softer, but I knew that was just an act. He took a step towards me, but I had no where to go. I had lost my voice, all my senses, feeling like my whole body was numb from fear. My eyes searched the room, trying to find someone. Anyone. My dad, Brandon, Tyler, Liv. But only unfamiliar faces, laughs and voices were coming from that direction.

"Aw, look at you all stressed out. But I'm not here for a fight, I promise." He said, taking another step towards me and offering a smile. The music stopped for a few seconds, but soon enough a new song started playing and Derek widen his eyes in awe. "I love this song." He smiled at me while I looked at him like I saw a ghost. I didn't know how to react. "Dance with me." He offered his hand and my mouth almost dropped open in shock. That's when I started feeling my face again. Like someone had slapped me.

I had the urge to scream 'are you kidding me?!', but I don't think this was exactly a question. I closed my eyes for a second, before opening them and looking anywhere but at him. I put my hand in his, hoping that someone would show up any second now, but Liv still wasn't back with our drinks and I couldn't find anyone else either. He brought my hand to his lips, leaving a butterfly kiss on top, and then slightly pulled me closer to him, walking towards the center of the hall. Not once did he take his eyes of me.

But this was good. There were people around and with dancing in the middle of the ballroom, someone would see us and come in rescue. Hopefully. Well, at least he can't hurt me in the middle of the crowd. I felt his hand moving to my waist and I instantly felt cold shivers going down my spine. I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath when we were already in a dancing position' his left hand holding mine, while his other one was tightly holding my waist, obviously not letting me escape. Out bodies were slightly touching and I felt nauseous in my stomach. I was holding hands with the person I hated the most. With the man that was the reason that my life turned into my biggest nightmare.

He was making gentle moves, following the music, at the same time controlling my body with his hand that was on my waist. Suddenly, he moved closer to the side of my face, almost burring his head in my hair when he inhaled deeply. I gulped in fear, having the feeling like he was gonna bite me any second now. He wasn't a vampire of course, but I knew what he was capable of. "Mmm," He said with a raspy voice. "Finally, I get to meet the one and only daughter of Richard Morgan. You're a legend, my dear." I frowned in confusion, yet kept myself still as all my muscles were tensed.

He moved away, meeting my eyes. "Look, I know you think that you can solve this with keeping quiet, but trust me, you'll want to talk to me when you hear what I have to offer." A short sharp breath escaped me. "All of this could end tonight. All you have to do is hear me out, Alexa."

I knew people like him. He wasn't telling the truth. "You're bluffing. You'll never end this no matter what I do." I didn't even realize that I started talking, but my voice was quiet and husky.

Derek chuckled. "You're very much mistaken, love. I would gladly end this. Under one condition." He said, as I felt like my blood wasn't even running through my blood system. A condition? Why didn't I see this coming? "You could save yourself, your precious Tyler, and all your friends. You only have to do one thing, and trust me, darling, I don't ask for much from people."

"What?" I breathed out, but I tried my best not to add hope in my heart, cause I knew that the man standing in front of me was a ruthless monster that would take that hope away in seconds.

"Why don't we talk in a quieter place." He took my hand before I could even react to it and started walking towards the entrance. I couldn't start dragging myself away from him cause I didn't want to make scenes. Beside, if there was a way of saving everyone out of this and if I was the one who could do it, I would gladly. I just didn't want any blood running tonight.

I felt myself getting anxious and even more nervous as he led me outside and stopped on the porch. I was glad that people were still arriving and that we weren't completely alone. Otherwise, I was sure we would've pulled the trigger in my head till now. I crossed my arms on my chest. "Talk. And you better not be playing with me." My voice was shaky, but there was confidence in it for some reason. I could feel my body tremble in fear, yet he just chuckled at me.

"I'm not playing with you Alexa. I've already won. And so can you, if you agree to my offer." He said, yet the grin never left his face.

"I'm listening." I gulped, feeling my voice fade away. I'm not sure if he even heard me.

"You can save all your friends, under one condition." He said with a firm tone, just as before. "When the clock ticks exactly 10 pm, right after dinner, you will come with me. Come with me, and no one gets hurt." My mouth almost dropped hanging. He has to be kidding me. Was he saying that I should leave with him?