Chapter 6

I woke up in someone's arms, only they weren't Mr. Gilinsky's. They were cold and wet, gripping my jumpsuit with great violence. My eyes flutter open to an unpleasant sight. It was the guard, in all his manliness, but poor attitude. He smelt very bad, but I couldn't pin point the foul odor. Anyway, he was chuckling at my fear and brought me very close to his face, taking in more of the stench.

"Why do you have a blanket in here?" He asked angrily.

I didn't answer, when I didn't he threw me down at the floor. I watch him as he took the blanket from me. I went to stand up and take it back, but he punched me in the face. I whimpered at the feeling, he then punched my other cheek. I pleaded for him to stop, but he only chuckled and kept going.

"Aww, little Jacky isn't going to fight back," he said mocking me,"Where's your friend, oh wait, you have none, you ugly piece of shit?!"

He was about to come at me again, until the door slammed open. I couldn't see who it was, but they sound very angry, they pulled him away from me hearing a lot of punching, and grunting. I see the person throw him out of the room and slam the door shut. I couldn't keep my eyes open, feeling so weak inside.

I wake up with a wet cloth on my head and I see Mr. Gilinsky. I sit up, but started feeling a pain in my side. I whimpered and fell to my knees. Mr. Gilinsky turns around and sprints towards me. I feel this heaviness in my chest, when he touched my shoulder.

"Jack, are you okay?" He asked nervously,"That bas- I mean that guard was hurting you and I-- anyway are you stable?"

I nodded and begin to cry like the wimp I am. I can't do anything by myself, I'll try, but they say I can't handle it. I want to prove to him I'm capable of doing things on my own, starting now. I stand up and attempt to walk to the door, but I felt the pain again and stop. I look back at him, who looked worried beyond belief. I have to show him that I can handle pain, so I kept walking to the door, even though it hurt like Hell.

"Jack, you going to hurt yourself more," he said stopping me.

"I can handle pain," I said struggling to move.

"I can't handle seeing you in pain," he said standing in front of the door.

I gasp, but I shook it off. I need to keep going, I need to show him I'm not a wimp, that I don't need any assistance. I walk past him and open the door. I look see all the patients lined up waiting for the signal to go downstairs. I see the guard who had a black eye, bruises all over his face, and a busted up lip. I step into line and we walk downstairs, with Mr. Gilinsky trailing behind.

I sat down in the lounge in my usual spot next to Gladys. She looked very crossed, her eyes burning holes in my head. I looked at her confused which made her even more infuriated with me. I turn towards her and chuckled at how angry she was.

"Why are you so angry?" I asked sitting back on the chair.

"You can't just let him in," she said angrily,"Why do you always have to pretend everything is fine?"

"Because I'm a wimp, I can't go to him or you when someone hurts me," I said tugging at my hair,"Yeah, things are bad now, but I just have to work through it."

"No, you don't need to," a voice said.

I turn around and it was Mr. Gilinsky. I face-palmed, hiding my face in my hands. I couldn't look at him, seeing him laugh at me for being weak is all I need. I felt his warm hands touch my back, which made me flinch. I couldn't take it, not another minute of this torture. I ran out of the lounge and outside to the yard to a far corner.

"Why God?" I asked crying my eyes out,"Why have You made me so weak?"

Mr. Gilinsky came running over, sweat dripping down his face and worry in his eyes. I snuggle up in the corner and looked at the ground. A few tears snuck out and stream down my face. They hit the ground making the concrete darker. Mr. Gilinsky tried to make me look at him, but I refused. Why would he want to look into the eyes of a coward?

"Hey Jack, if you think you are a wimp than you have not seen anything yet," he started,"So please just look at me, I want to see those beautiful eyes of yours."

I look up a little bit, seeing his foggy glasses staring back at me. He took them off and cleaned them. Then he put them back on and took in a shaky breath. He put a hand through his sweaty hair and looked up at me.

"I am the real coward," he started,"When I was a child, I was consider the nerd, or the know-it-all, so because of my smarts, the other children would use their strength for revenge. So in high school, I started to go to the gym, change my appearance, but no matter how much I changed myself I was still that nerdy kid that cannot defend himself or others. When I saw you in there being battered and bruised by the guard, I did not come to your rescue, I just stood there in fear. Then finally I brought help and he threw the guard out. I'm sorry Jack."

I see a tear escape from his eyes. I crawl over to him and wipe it away with my thumb. I look up at him and faintly smiled. He hugged me, but not as hard because I was still hurting. He look into my eyes and put a hand through my hair so he can look into my so called "beautiful" eyes.

"I guess we are both cowards," I said giggling.