Chapter ιε

The healing bite mark on Nate's neck

Realm of the Lunar Goddess

The Lunar Goddess had noticed that something had transpired between Gabriel and Hercules. Yet, she couldn't pinpoint what it was and how it affected her power over the wolves. She bit the nail on her thumb, she knew she could still control Gabriel to some degree but Hercules was a whole other story. He was too unpredictable and not to mention the child of the strongest of the Gods. He would know when something was amiss. Especially now with the Moon ritual on the horizon, she should act quickly if she wants to salvage her control on the world's strongest pack.

Human Realm: Blood-Wolf Pack

Gabriel was seated on his throne watching the faces of the row of Pack members standing in front of him. One of them was responsible for putting that nightmare fruit in their breakfast. With the help of Lord Morpheus they managed to conclude that the nightmare fruit was mixed with the butter that they had used on Nate's piece of toast before putting the cheese on it. The cheese had helped delaying the immediate effect of the nightmare fruit. Yet, Gabriel was puzzled, the butter had smelled normal; it was a habit of his to try and detect any odd scents on his food. Especially now his mate and pup were around him 24/7. So who and how did one of them switch the butter?

And the fact he himself and Herc had used the same butter and were okay was another mystery. Only Nate had a reaction. Maybe Herc is right. Maybe the two of us are more immune to the fruit than Nate. But how did Nate not build up his resistance? The answer to that question came as a lightning strike on a clear day, Nate's parents. But they can't hate their own children that much can they? Gabriel didn't know anymore, he knew that he hated his own mother with a blazing passion that overruled everything. So yes, it is possible for parents to hate their own child so much to want them dead.

Gabriel had been in the human world long enough to have seen the devastation parents could bring to their child, as long as they hated the child enough. And Nate's parents hated him a lot for to him unknown reason. As he thought this over, he kept a close eye on the people in front of him. What he was doing was a tactic that was basically him waiting until one of them cracked and spilled the beans. He or she wouldn't be able to stand the silence or the waiting. But, he mussed some people were good actors so they might stage something. Like Ricky for example; he is known for his dramatic flairs, or Charlotte; she is very stoic looking but one of the best spies he had come across. So why were they working in the kitchen? That must mean that they have a boss who had an unhealthy interest in what he and his mate and pup ate, or maybe they were spying on the previous Alpha.

As he had predicted, Ricky was the first that cracked. Although he was led away with a lot of dramatics, Gabriel was looking at the others from the corner of his eye. Looking for any teeny tiny sign of other emotions, he was surprised however when none of them showed anything besides shock. As if they didn't know that he as responsible, hah! As if! Gabriel knew that one of them would lead him to the culprit; he just needed to play this game very carefully. He dismissed them all and told them not to come to work for a week. He needed the time to see who would go to their boss and report.

Akira came forward as the spy to keep an eye on Cindy. His argument was that even though Charlotte was the spy, she could simply be the decoy so they would focus their attention on her instead of on everybody at the same time. Seeing no better option Gabriel agreed. A week past and nothing worthwhile happened. The team Akira had set up was starting to grumble; they had more than enough of the boring surveillance on the suspects.

But how come I can't hear or feel them? Is it because they don't really accept me as their Alpha? Or are they part of another Pack? Is that even possible? Gabriel felt like slamming his head against the wall if it would help make sense of his mumbled thoughts. "Gabe, babe are you okay?" Hercules stood behind him with his arms crossed. "You have been mumbling to yourself for a while now."