chapter 4

[Daisy's POV]

We drove off. Warren sat at the backseat with Murphy. Someone else was driving because she was clearly not in the condition to do anything.

But we also were able to get a motorcycle, which Mack and Addy were driving. 10k and I were at the back of our truck, as always. Suddenly we heard Doc cursing like he got shot. A moment later we stopped and 10k and I got off. A huge cloud of smoke was rising up from out truck.

"Maybe the cooling-system." 10k said and crawled under the truck. Mack and Addy had turned around. "I think it would be a good idea to split up. We are running out of water and food, if you haven't noticed yet. And we also need to get help with the truck..." Mack said and Addy nodded.

"Ouuu guys. Are you sure?!" Doc asked concerned. "Yes. We'll find each other. We always do." Addy said and got back to Mack on the motorcycle. In the same moment when they drove off, 10k got up again"Yep. I fixed it as good as I can. But it needs water to run."

We all filled our last water supplies into the tank. Just Murphy drank his water himself. What a selfish jerk.

We got back on the truck. We drove a few miles til we reached a small village. Dawn was breaking and Doc had taken the leadership since Warren stopped talking to anyone.

It has been a very hot day, we all were very thirsty and also hungry. We drove past the small supermarket the village had. And continued til we found house which was unlocked, so we could enter easily before it was getting dark. Luckily no Zs were inside or anything near this place. I was still worrying about Warren, and how Mack and Addy were doing.

While the others searched the basement and the other rooms for something to eat, or water, I looked for an entrance to the attic. I eventually found it. I got up there and started searching for.... anything really. My parents used to horde old fire weapons and knifes in the attic, because it wouldn't get rusty up there.

And yeah, I found a katana- sword thingy, a machete and a shotgun with two bullets.

I was really exited about that, grabbed the stuff and got down. The others had set up a fire in the fireplace.

The house itself was very cozy, but the fire made it even cozier. It only had two bedrooms. So Doc and Warren took the bedroom with the double bed and Murphy got the one the families child used to sleep in. 10k and I had to share the living room. After all the warmest room.

I really couldn't sleep yet, so I went in the kitchen. 10k was reading a magazine in front of the fireplace, but got up and followed me to the kitchen.

I started to search for a metal pot, to heat up some water.

He came into the room, and leaned against the doorway looking at me. He said nothing. But as I had found what I was searching for, he asked "What are u doing?!"

"When have you showered the last time?!" I stuck my head up behind the counter. "Too long ago, right?!"

"Yes, but I'm sure no one really cares about that anymore" he said and knelt next to me. "Sure, but at least some warm, soapy water makes you feel better from time to time." I answered.

I stood up and emptied the water from the coffee machine into the pot and placed it into the fire.

I started running around the house tying to collect as much water as I could find. I got back with even more form the pipes under the sink and the cistern.

I first boiled it and refilled everyone's water bottles. The rest I carried into the bathroom and filled into the tiny bathtub. It only filled it up to about two inches. But that was enough to wash myself and my cloths.

[10k's POV]

I sat next to the fire again... Thinking about her...

I heard her coming down the stairs. She only had on a towel and carried her wet clothes with her. She spread out her clothes in front of the fire. She turned around and looked at me

"I'm not going to share this couch with you, if you don't go upstairs and 'take a shower'" she said and smiled at me.

So i got up, washed me and my clothes and came back. She had changed into different clothes and fell asleep at the carpet in front of the fireplace.

I picked her up and laid her down on to the couch and took place next to her. I held her in my arms, and felt, that she snuggled her self to my chest. I felt asleep.

The next day I got up really early. I changed into my freshly washed clothes, and it felt too good to be true.

I heard Murphy stumble down the stairs. As he walked by I said "Good morning, sunshine"

He just looked at me and mumbled "F*** the sunshine, kid."

He was clearly not in the best mood. Everyone else came down the stairs too.

Warren still not talking to anyone. Doc was in a pretty go mood though. They started packing everything else. Daisy woke up and started helping. She packed her stuff and also the things she found earlier.

We got on the road again and drove for two days, til we ran out of gas, and had to search for an opportunity to continue travelling.