Chapter 5

[Authors note: I'm trying to update as much as I can, but I'm kinda searching for more ideas. So if you have any leave them in the comments :) ]

[Daisy's POV]

We were on the road again. Somewhere in Kansas, I think. I've already lost any sense where we could be and where we were going, by now.

Everyone was confused. Questions formed in everyone's head. But after all,

"Will we make it to California?!"

Was the main one asked. The only one which no one was asking out loud; "What will happen then?!"

Everyone was hoping, that it'll we okay. That everything is going to be alright. That this all would end.

10k noticed, that I was totally zoned out. He tapped me on the shoulder. "Daisy? Are you alright?" he asked concerned. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath "How? How will it go on, after we get to California?!".

He shook his head. "Honey... I don't know.I really don't." I don't know why, but the fact, that he had called me 'Honey' made me giggle. "...but as long as we are together... It'll be alright." he continued and smiled at me.

Some time had passed, as he started talking again."Have you ever shot with a sniper rifle before?!" he asked. I turned my head towards him "My Dad owned one. A Barrett M82 if I remember correctly. But he didn't want me to practice with it. So I 'specialized' on my slingshot, as well as close combat and on my bow... Had to leave the last one behind..." I answered. He started setting up his rifle. "The car we drove by. You see it? Try aiming at the windshield. Take a deep breath, and as you breathe out, shoot." he said.

I got down, looked trough the viewfinder-aiming-thing and reloaded. Took a deep breath... and shot. The glass broke! " I did it!" I got very exited and hugged him tightly. He gave me a kiss on my forehead "You did great! But you still need to practice! And now show me, how good you are with your slingshot." I smirked "Nothing easier than that!".

I pulled out my slingshot from my pocket, grabbed a metal piece and waited for something to shoot. After some time we passed a sign

Gunshow! Only today!

I looked at 10k, who had started cleaning his rifle. I tabbed his shoulder "The sign we are passing by any second; Watch the O in only." I pulled back and shot right through it. With a smirk on my face, I turned towards 10k. He nodded at me "Not bad!" and grinned.

For a little while we sat there, just smiling at each other, till our truck suddenly stopped. I heard a lot of voices. Unusual. Our group was pretty quiet all the time. 10k got off the truck, so I did. We had reached a barn. The one where the gun show was at. We all walked towards a woman with an ugly straw-hat and a dude with a cylinder, who was napping next to her.

"Admission is seven." she said. "Seven what?!" Doc asked. "Bullets. Oxy. Anything." she replied slightly angry. "I may have some crystal in the truck..." Doc offered.

The dude next to the woman pushed up his hat and stood up "Stay away with this pipe-cleaner-stuff." Docs smiled "If that ain't Sketchy..." and hugged him. I really don't remember this guys last name. But that's not important.

He showed us around and told us about the story, how he and his skinny creepy friend got to the truck full of weapons. He also asked for Addy, who was not with us. He also said something about a shooting-contest, and showed us the first price... A Barrett M82 sniper rifle. Like my dad owned one back in the days. 10k, standing next to me, got very exited "Where can I sign up?!" he said and jumped up and down.

The man laughed. "If you can beat this guy, back there, a former sharp-shooter... Do you... You can sign up over there."

Warren and Murphy disappeared and I was looking around the place. I spotted a very odd looking car. I walked towards the vehicle and looked at the inside. The windows were rolled down. On the passengers seat I saw an Old MP3-Player. I asked myself, who would need such a thing in the apocalypse... I haven't listened to any music in... yeah three years. I looked around very quick. No one saw me back here. I reached into the car, grabbed the thing and stuffed it into my pocket. I walked back to Doc and 10k. They were sitting next to the barn.

I sat next to 10k, who was readjusting the viewfinder on his rifle. "Doc, can you please look for Murphy? I saw him with some guys... Not that he gets in trouble somehow..." I asked him. "Uhm... Sure." Doc said and left.

I laid my hand on to 10k's thigh " Are you exited?!" I asked and smiled at him. He looked up, smiling at me "Yeah... Kinda...". " Can I have that for a second?" I asked and pointed at the rifle which was laying on his lab. He gave me a concerned look and handed it to me. I kissed it. "For good luck!" I smiled, and walked away.

I was searching for a quiet place. Behind the barn, I found an old huge tractor wheel, perfectly positioned. The rubber-stuff it's made off, was warmed by the sun. I sat down on it and searched my pocket for the music-player. I stuck the earplugs in and pressed on the button in the middle. The display lid up. 'First Date' by Blink-182 started playing. I giggled. My best friend used to love Blink-182. I closed my eyes and laid back. After a minute into the song I heard someone saying my name.

"Daisy!" 10k walked towards me. I removed the earplugs and stood up "What?". He didn't say anything as we stood in front of each other. Suddenly he pulled me towards him and I felt his lips landing on mine...

Beautiful seconds passed, till someone yelled "10k! Kid! Where are you?" It was Doc, who cam running our way! "I don't want to interrupt whatever is happening, but the contest is starting any minute!" Doc said and left. 10k turned towards me again "I guess I need to..." I interrupted him by kissing him again. "For good luck!" I winked at him and smiled. "Sure..!" he smirked and walked away...

I sat back on the Wheel and watched the shooting contest. I pulled out my katana, which I carried around with me from now on, and looked in the reflection of the blade. My hair had grown out quiet a bit. At the top... Somehow blond... or brown... and at the bottom a purplish-red. I liked it the way it looked.

Suddenly I heard people screaming! I looked up and around. Zs were all over the place! I heard shots. Screams. I started running, holding my knife ready to do anything.

I ran. And ran. As I ran around the corner of the barn, a Z attacked me! I managed to push him down and killed it. Seconds later I reached the place where the truck was parking.

But it was gone. And everyone else too.