Chapter 1

It was raining outside. The cold and dreary kind of rain that comes pouring in just when you think it's going to be a productive day.

From the inside of the cafe, the rain outside skated down the windows in highlighted streaks as it cascaded in pools in front of the red neon sign which blinked the letters O-P-E-N as if pleading to the world outside to come in.

There would be little to no business today. For the owner, and today's only barista, this was discouraging to say the least.

The barista made her way through the swinging door to the back wash room. As she began washing the carafes and portafilters for what felt like the third time since opening the cafe less than an hour ago, the bell above the front door rang to signal the entrance of the first customer of the day.

"Anybody here? The sign says open," the patron said, shaking herself of the wetness that had attached itself to her.

"Hang on a sec," the barista shouted from the back as she finished the last of the few dishes that remained. Placing them on the drying rack, she returned to the front of the store and was excited to find out who the new arrival was.

"Oh, it's just you," she said when she had fully opened the door.

"Gee, thanks a lot," the patron said. "You'd think I was chump change around here or something instead of your biggest paying customer."

"Sorry, Twitchy, I was just hoping for someone new," the barista said. "Hey, have you by any chance seen anyone else out and about today?"

The miniature chihuahua hopped up onto a stool next to the counter bar and began living up to her name as her head spastically jerked to the side. "In this rain, Java? Honey, are you kiddin'? You're lucky to see me in here. If it weren't for me needing my daily caffeine fix I'd be at home right now in my soft, cozy bed."

"I'm not so lucky, unfortunately," Java said. She was a Russian blue, the sort of cat who usually tended to be snobbish, but Java by her very individual nature was kind to everyone she met, even those whom other cats would have deemed low society; namely, dogs.

"When you've got a business to run," she continued, "you have to hope for the best and expect customers to show up-rain or shine."

"Yeah, but this isn't just rain, kid; this is a downpour."

Java turned to face the tablet where she entered orders. "So what'll it be today?" she asked.

"Have you ever known me to order anything other than my usual?" Twitchy said, jerking her head slightly once more.

"Not since I first opened the place," Java said. "A stiff mocha with whole milk it is, then."

Twitchy then got a little too excited and began gnawing on her tongue, a feat that wasn't hard with her noticeable underbite. "Make that an extra stiff mocha if you don't mind," she said.

"Two shots of espresso in that mocha it is," Java replied. She punched the order into the tablet, took Twitchy's money, and was about to give her the remaining change when Twitchy said, "Keep it; consider it a tip for services rendered."

"Thanks so much, Twitchy," she said and placed the two extra dollars in her apron.

While Java tended to her drink, Twitchy spotted a newspaper on the bar near the espresso machine. The front page headline read:

Town Remodels for Upcoming Fall Festival.

Hopes to Bring in More Tourists to Local Businesses.