Chapter 2

"Java! Java, honey, wake up!"

The sound came from somewhere out in the distance, as if from another plane of existence entirely. It was faint at first, then she could finally make out the words...and who spoke them.

"Java, wake up, it's Twitchy. You have to wake up, please!" She was smacking Java's cheeks, hoping to rouse her.

"Wha...who?" Java managed, her voice reverberating in her head, causing it to throb from the echoes-and in no small part from Twitchy's attempts to wake her.

She finally managed to open her eyes at a squint as the darkness faded away and the blinding light of the hospital flooded her vision. Her pupils dilated into slits and she closed them once more just after seeing a blurry image of the chihuahua at her side. She noticed she was lying down on what seemed to be a stretcher, and she was moving as well, no doubt being pushed by the attendants surrounding her.

"Twitch," she said. "Twitchy? Is that really you?"

"Of course it's me; oh thank heavens you're okay, kid! You had me worried out of my own skin...well, more so than usual, that is."

Java managed a faint laugh and felt a jolt all over. "What happened?" she groaned. "Where am I?"

"Just relax, hon, you're going to be all right. We're at the hospital, but there's nothing to worry about, the doc's assured me of that."

"Dach? Is he here too?"

"No, sweetie, the doctor; I meant the doctor."

"Oh."

The surrounding attendants wheeled her into her room as Twitchy followed. When they had left and Java was settled, she began again.

"Now listen, you've been in a terrible accident. It's not serious, but you're going to need your rest for now. Don't you worry about a thing. I'll take care of the cafe for a couple of days while you're recovering."

At the word recovering, Java's head bolted upright. "What do you mean recovering? Just how bad is it? You still haven't told me what happened."

"Nothing too serious. Like I said, there's nothing to worry-"

"What did the doctor say, Twitchy?" Java said, a little more aware than before.

"Well, um, you've...that is to say...you've-"

"Spill it, Twitchy."

Twitchy sighed in defeat. "You've been struck by lightning."

Java's head reeled at the thought. She wondered if she would pass out now from the shock of it, then she nearly started laughing again at the irony of the pun.

"Oh dear," Twitchy said, more to herself than to Java. "She's gone bonkers."

"Nonsense," Java said, "I guess if the doc says I'm okay, then I'm okay."

"That's the spirit," Twitchy said, relieved. "Now you just lie your pretty head down and relax. Like I said, I'll take care of everything; you just focus on getting your strength back. After all, that lightning bolt must've packed a wallop on your poor, little self."

The thought of Twitchy running her cafe for even one day, let alone two or three, nearly made Java pass out for sure. But for the second time in a day-a new record to be sure-Twitchy had been right. Java would rest. This whole mess would straighten itself out and she would go back to living her normal life in her normal home and running her normal cafe in no time.